No announcement yet.

Canonical Releases Landscape 24.04 LTS With New Snap Management, New Web Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Releases Landscape 24.04 LTS With New Snap Management, New Web Portal

Phoronix: Canonical Releases Landscape 24.04 LTS With New Snap Management, New Web Portal

Following last week's release of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, Canonical has now rolled out Landscape 24.04 LTS as the first long-term support version of this commercial software for managing a fleet of Ubuntu systems from a web-based portal. Landscape is part of the Ubuntu Pro subscription package and from the web-based environment makes it easier to manage Ubuntu systems in the enterprise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds great if you have a fleet of servers running Ubuntu, but what if you only have one Raspberry Pi? Then you have to manage it from the terminal over SSH.

I think Canonical should package Cockpit as a Snap package so it can be used on Ubuntu Core and to add a Cockpit module/extension for managing installation of Snap packages.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Sounds great if you have a fleet of servers running Ubuntu, but what if you only have one Raspberry Pi? Then you have to manage it from the terminal over SSH.

I think Canonical should package Cockpit as a Snap package so it can be used on Ubuntu Core and to add a Cockpit module/extension for managing installation of Snap packages.
      This ! The last time I explored Cockpit on Ubuntu was a couple of years ago and the .deb was always several versions behind. At least having a Snap whereas the version of Cockpit included was no more than 1 version old if not a couple of dot releases old with the attendant dependencies would be great. Should be trivial nowadays to do. But is it a matter of Cockpit not being a Canonical creation ? And is there an equivalent Canonical dashboard ? I know they just released Landscape but that’s more managing fleets of Ubuntu installs it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

This ! The last time I explored Cockpit on Ubuntu was a couple of years ago and the .deb was always several versions behind.
        Installing cockpit on Ubuntu from the backports repo gives you always the most recent version - currently 314.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Installing cockpit on Ubuntu from the backports repo gives you always the most recent version - currently 314.
          Thanks but I was looking for a non Geek solution. Like go to the Snap store, search for Cockpit, and instantly find the Snap that’s no more than 1 version old. Or click on Synaptic and once I type in Cockpit I find the .deb that’s already there and once again no more than one version old. That’s what I would recommend to a non Geek relative trying to move away from MacOS or Windows. I will never recommend “Hey Uncle or Granma….just go to the backports repo. Instead of a backport I’d get a backhand.

Of course since this is Linux it will be another 20 years before all the old zealots die off or they actually lose their zealotry and one universal Linux packaging scheme emerges.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Thanks but I was looking for a non Geek solution. Like go to the Snap store, search for Cockpit, and instantly find the Snap that’s no more than 1 version old. Or click on Synaptic and once I type in Cockpit I find the .deb that’s already there and once again no more than one version old. That’s what I would recommend to a non Geek relative trying to move away from MacOS or Windows. I will never recommend “Hey Uncle or Granma….just go to the backports repo. Instead of a backport I’d get a backhand.

Of course since this is Linux it will be another 20 years before all the old zealots die off or they actually lose their zealotry and one universal Linux packaging scheme emerges.
            Oh dude you’ve totally missed the point of fixed released distros, stability and the role of backports. If you want the latest software either use a rolling release distro or accept backports. Some of these old zealots might understand why things are set up the way they are.

Also, seems like you need to talk to your grandparents that violence isn’t ok.

Comment

It's a pretty good management solution but i cannot support it due to the shit called ubuntu pro. All i can guess it's closed source, and they graciously grant you a free license (for now) when you register to ubuntu pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Party0445 View Post

Oh dude you’ve totally missed the point of fixed released distros, stability and the role of backports. If you want the latest software either use a rolling release distro or accept backports. Some of these old zealots might understand why things are set up the way they are.

Also, seems like you need to talk to your grandparents that violence isn’t ok.
                Thanks for proving my point. Only a Geek and not a real world user would say …”Oh dude you’ve totally missed the point of fixed released distros….” LOL.

And only a Geek on the autism scale wouldn’t comprehend my joke about the backhand from relatives when confronted with Geekery.

That’s ok. Canonical, Microsoft, IBM and A.I. will soon put to rest the 14 different packaging schemes plaguing Linux Land. It will soon be no debs and no RPMs but Flatpak and Snaps with Snaps being the market leader in the enterprise as Flatpak can’t continue to be Flatpak without adopting measures to be more secure and manageable like Snaps. Also by the end of the decade we’ll be able to take any Flatpak and simply tell any AI “Turn this Flatpak into a Snap and vice versa. At that point IBM and Canonical will get together to make one universal container scheme for all distributions. The way it should be. Just like Windows, just like MacOS/iOS and just like ChromeOS. This would benefit the BSDs as well as one of the few differing dependencies bundled into the containerized app would be the target OS. Once again by the end of the decade we’ll just tell an AI turn this Linux Snap into a BSD Snap. By then there will be no point having competing packaging schemes.

Then and ONLY then will Linux have any chance to sustainably reach and exceed its 2-5% real world user base….not the Top500 Supercomputer list.
                Last edited by Jumbotron; 03 May 2024, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X