Linux Mint Looks To Fork More GNOME Software, Make XApp More Independent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Gnome and KDE will never be good desktop environments. They have had decades to become good and have failed.

What are you smoking? Can I have some?
    Last edited by mxan; 30 April 2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Anybody over at Mint planning on taking up the flag and becoming official maintainers for X11/X.org server?
      GTK2/3 will have to be forked as well. All these fancy new things: GNOME4/GTK4/Wayland and so on are garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
        Ah, more fragmentation, just what the Linux desktop ecosystem needs to mature!
        It is what gives open source power. If fragmentation was so bad then why aren't we on proprietary software? Linux Mint is the most popular Linux distro for a reason. The reason Cinnamon exists was because Gnome sucked. People didn't like what the Gnome team was doing so forks happen for a reason. Now KDE is probably better but that's relatively recent. Even switching to Wayland is questionable. These things have gotten better, but it's easy to see why the Linux Mint team does what it does. Do you want a good desktop experience or suffer with performance issues and bugs to very slightly push KDE and Wayland forward faster? Personally, I'd like to see a KDE Plasma Linux Mint because the Linux Mint people know how to make it usable.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
          Cinnamon in, Budgie out. boogie buggy Still In Development SID on Debian when there is need to work on issues, new fresh fork Wanted
          Can you rewrite that in a way that is comprehensible?

Comment

Linux Mint shouldn't be looking to fork anything. They're already extremely understaffed and underfunded. They can barely keep above water with updates to the software they already have (which are forks of Gnome already). Why in the hell would they go out of their way to fork more stuff, spreading themselves too thin?

Comment

While I run CachyOS with XFCE, it's good to see that the Linux Mint devs are dedicated to keeping the concept of simple, efficient, DEs alive and kicking.

I remember when Windows 8 first appeared, and then Windows 10, and how most Linux DE developers mocked, justifiably, their convoluted, over complicated, and inefficient GUIs. But then, it seems within about 6 months after Windows 10 was released, both mainstream Gnome and KDE began emulating those ridiculous GUIs.

But hey, Linux is all about choice, and if there weren't a lot of people who wanted a Windows 10/11 type GUI on Linux then Gnome and KDE would have faded away. So as is often said, more power to the people. So long as I can keep a simple and efficient DE like Xfce I have no problem with others choosing something I find ludicrously banal and byzantine. As I know many users dislike XFCE because it's so simple and efficient, and abhor it just as much as I do Gnome/KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                What are you smoking? Can I have some?
                Same thing as everyone else.

You are just late to the party and haven't caught up yet.

Comment

Based, the less they depend on gnome the less things will break

Comment

Yep, Linux Mint used to be the gateway for most people dipping their toes into Linux Land. But now they are just another fragmented and fragmenting hobbyist project useful for only those who hate anything to do with Gnome or even KDE for that matter. They’re like System76s COSMIC without the underlying hardware business. Their influence and reach in Linux Land is on the wane. But hey, at the same time, the very nature of Linux makes for good soil for a thousand fragmented flowers to bloom for whatever needs or uses the user seeks. That said, that very fragmentation will forever keep Linux as a Geeks’ only domain when compared to Apple or Windows. Which is a damn shame. But wherever there is a Geek you’ll find someone cutting off a nose to spite a face. With 14 different versions or protocols to do the same *ucking thing.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                      Based, the less they depend on gnome the less things will break
                      Such idiotic statements as this cause the entire domain of logic and evidence to break. One of Linux Mints many problems of late had actually been falling behind on development and non-breaking development at that from their decisions to move away from Ubuntu as a base and their refusal to include Snapd and then trying to make their own App Store and now trying to recreate the app wheel itself by duplicating Gnome apps. Linux Mint used to mean “out of the box it just works Linux”. No more.

Linux Mint now means “ Hey…look! I have a foot. Let me shoot it!”

Comment

Working...
                      X