Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.6 RC Brings Cockpit Web Based Server Management

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.6 RC Brings Cockpit Web Based Server Management

The openSUSE Leap 15.6 based on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP6 has graduated out of its beta phase and is onto the release candidate period. Notable with openSUSE Leap 15.6 is now having nice support for the Cockpit web-based server management solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cockpit is awesome. I didnt realise they did not have it here yet, I use it on centos.

PS you can use the cockpit client app and set the server address as localhost (127.0.0.1) to give you a different GUI for your local machine. This isnt as fully featured as the server GUI with the cockpit server installed as it misses some integrations but I can see how it can be useful to others.

Comment

The release team expects to have an SELinux policy in Leap 16, so this will be working for future releases.
      I will be waiting on this one but good to see it's been planned. SUSE however isn't using Cockpit for the distro installer unlike what Red Hat has been working on.

Comment

It's awesome. Cockpit uses SystemD's socket activation meaning it's not consuming resources when idle!

...My life would be perfect if there was a control panel which describes the state of the system through code

(E.g. if a Volume is assigned to a container through Web Dashboard, this change should be reflected in a version controlled configuration to easily rollback /or/ re-deploy the state of the system).
        Last edited by Kjell; 29 April 2024, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Awesome!

Too bad Canonical haven't worked with Cockpit to get it packaged as a Snap and available on Ubuntu Core and with a module for Snap package management so you can install/uninstall Snap packages using Cockpit. 😢

Comment

Pretty cool, but I'm still waiting for the RH clone they promised they would release under the Suse name.

I wonder how that's going, it should be too difficult, just download the source, rebrand it and compile.

Anyone from Suse that can offer us a an estimate as to when that RH powered Suse variant will be available?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Pretty cool, but I'm still waiting for the RH clone they promised they would release under the Suse name.
              Source? SUSE announced a fork but not a clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                It's awesome. Cockpit uses SystemD's socket activation meaning it's not consuming resources when idle!

...My life would be perfect if there was a control panel which describes the state of the system through code

(E.g. if a Volume is assigned to a container through Web Dashboard, this change should be reflected in a version controlled configuration to easily rollback /or/ re-deploy the state of the system).
                Terraform does that (or its OSS alternative).

Comment

I miss Webmin, it it still going?

Comment

is it still running an ancient frankenkernel?

Comment

Working...
                    X