Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi V3DV Vulkan Driver Implements Extended Dynamic State - Important For DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi V3DV Vulkan Driver Implements Extended Dynamic State - Important For DXVK

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi V3DV Vulkan Driver Implements Extended Dynamic State - Important For DXVK

Merged last week to Mesa 24.2-devel was an important merge request for the Broadcom V3DV Vulkan driver that is most notably used by the modern Raspberry Pi single board computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dunno how people imagine running vulkan games on such a tiny CPU while emulating x86 (fex JIT?) but neat that this is a thing now I guess.

Comment

You know, every time I see stuff like this, all I can't think of, this is neat, but I really want an affordable qualcomm SBC

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      I dunno how people imagine running vulkan games on such a tiny CPU while emulating x86 (fex JIT?) but neat that this is a thing now I guess.
      The RPI5 will be powerful enough for some more simpler dx9 games. Farcry 1 would probably work fine, I remeber playing it on some older android devices. The cpu itself is probably fast enough to play something like hat in time. the gpu, I don't really know. it's hard to say with the vulkan driver in the state it currently is, and I dont actually have a device for testing​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        You know, every time I see stuff like this, all I can't think of, this is neat, but I really want an affordable qualcomm SBC

The RPI5 will be powerful enough for some more simpler dx9 games. Farcry 1 would probably work fine, I remeber playing it on some older android devices. The cpu itself is probably fast enough to play something like hat in time. the gpu, I don't really know. it's hard to say with the vulkan driver in the state it currently is, and I dont actually have a device for testing​
        The problem isn't that the CPU can't run it. It's that it has to be done through emulation. Unless you want to emulate enough of android to run the android farcry binary, you're stuck emulating x86. This is going to be the case for virtually all games in VALVe's steam library, which is 100% x86. FEX's JIT might offer reasonable perf, but this isn't assured.

Comment

The problem isn't that the CPU can't run it. It's that it has to be done through emulation. Unless you want to emulate enough of android to run the android farcry binary, you're stuck emulating x86. This is going to be the case for virtually all games in VALVe's steam library, which is 100% x86. FEX's JIT might offer reasonable perf, but this isn't assured.
          I was talking about emulating x86 far cry on old android devices. I didn't even know farcry was ported to android

Comment

RPi4 is capable of running some old x86 games on Wine with box32, RPi5 is much faster so it will be capable of running newer and heavier games.

Comment

Think about setting ground to a future Raspberry Pi 6 (and similar devices) and possible a Steam version for ARM processors. Learning how to do it with current hardware is benefit for future ones, even if the current experience might be subpar right now.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                Think about setting ground to a future Raspberry Pi 6 (and similar devices) and possible a Steam version for ARM processors. Learning how to do it with current hardware is benefit for future ones, even if the current experience might be subpar right now.
                no need to, the rpi5 cpu is perfectly adequate for older titles. For instance this is Farcry being emulated (Winlator is a proot environment running wine and box86 iirc) at 20-60fps on the original asus ROG phone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzHFCFveoE

The phone is still pretty decent don't get me wrong, but farcry was still a harder to run title in the first place

Comment

I remember seeing FarCry running on a Pi 4, and it wasn't the CPU that was the issue, even with Box86 translation. The main issue was, although the framerate was acceptable indoors, the moment you went outside the framerate tanked as the GPU is a snail.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
                    I remember seeing FarCry running on a Pi 4, and it wasn't the CPU that was the issue, even with Box86 translation. The main issue was, although the framerate was acceptable indoors, the moment you went outside the framerate tanked as the GPU is a snail.
                    yup, I predict that will still be an issue with rpi5, but hopefully not too much one one if you OC the gpu a bit. now modern socs and phones can even play GTA5 at 20-30fps. I really wish we had some qualcomm socs T.T

Comment

Working...
                    X