Ubuntu Isn't Yet Recommending GNOME's VRR Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    I wish they would fix: #3296 because you honestly can not work on displays with different scaling. I have a 14" 4k and a 27" 1080P at work I would need different scaling.
    No, its a feature Windows 11 also fails on that exact matter. I still have Windows 11 around for some gaming stuff and I don't know how often I grab the Steam window and some others exactly because of that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Ubuntu: ships LTS with GNOME full of buggy features
      Also Ubuntu: KDE 6? Not on my watch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      IMHO, KDE dropped the ball with the new Plasma release model; how between Plasma 5 and 6 they depreciated KDE LTS releases since no distributions ever seemed to use them. What they should have done was make the last Plasma 5 release become KDE LTS and have it receive nothing bug bug and security fixes going forward. It should also have been the only version of KDE that supports X11 so 6 could be Wayland only. They'd have to address the ~/.config issue so KDE-LTS and KDE could be installed at the same time.

I wonder if the Qt Company's change in position on Qt LTS releases has had a role to play in KDE LTS being depreciated? I don't want to go down that foil-lined rabbit hole, but it's an interesting thought.

I say all that because Plasma 6 might as well be a beta release right now. I'm using Plasma 6 Wayland and it's great, I love it, but I can see why a distribution wouldn't want to consider it just yet (or anything that is primarily Wayland, really). Not everyone and everything is ready for the full X/Wayland transition and LTS brings with it the assumption that things will be working and ready. That basically means "not Wayland" when it comes to LTS.

It really doesn't help that Plasma 6 drew a line in the sand with X and Wayland and, because of that, the X side of the line doesn't have feature parity with the Wayland side. A distribution won't want to offer both sessions if switching sessions can cause odd issues for users to wonder what's going on. For an example practically any user can come across, it requires logging in and out 2 times to switch between X and Wayland on Plasma 5 to account for all the scaling settings that aren't shared between X and Wayland. Having to log in and out twice because the X and Wayland sessions don't share the same settings isn't LTS friendly and good reason to depreciate one session or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Ubuntu has too old Qt for Plasma 6 to work correctly. If they patch it somehow and force it to run on older version, the experience will be buggy, like with 5.27 on Ubuntu 22.04 (that was notorious for crashing lock screen, with no way to fix)
        I just checked, 24.04 currently has Qt 6.4.2. If I recall correctly, Plasma 6.0 requires at least Qt 6.6 to work. That means they'll probably need to ship an updated Qt as part of Kubuntu backports PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          IMHO, KDE dropped the ball with the new Plasma release model; how between Plasma 5 and 6 they depreciated KDE LTS releases since no distributions ever seemed to use them. What they should have done was make the last Plasma 5 release become KDE LTS and have it receive nothing bug bug and security fixes going forward.
          Did they? Last time they talked about it, they said they're thinking about ending LTS releases, but they still haven't decided anything. Also, Plasma 5.27 actually is an LTS release and at least Kubuntu uses Plasma LTS releases in 18.04 LTS, 20.04 LTS. 22.04 LTS and 24.04 LTS. But if it's the only distro that takes advantage of Plasma LTS releases, it's understandable why they want to end them. They also said that unlike Plasma, KDE core apps never had LTS releases (since they have separate versioning from Plasma itself).

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          It should also have been the only version of KDE that supports X11 so 6 could be Wayland only.
          They actually want to split kwin_x11 and kwin_wayland in the near future, which will accelerate their Wayland development.
          Last edited by user1; 29 April 2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I hope the fixes will also be backported into Ubuntu 24.04.

Comment

The current KDE Neon distro is happily using Plasma 6.0, but is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
              It should respin onto Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS around August.

Comment

Ubuntu 24.04 is the buggiest Ubuntu release I have ever seen in the last 10 years.
                Dark mode doesn't work for Gnome apps, system can't detect correct graphic drivers, defaults to Wayland even I explicitly select X.org on gdm, and etc. 23.10 was more stable than this.
                ​​​​

Comment

obliviously gnome is the best!

Comment

[QUOTE=user1;n1460584]

So by your logic, one single feature that is even hidden from the GUI in Gnome 46 for obvious reason = Gnome full of buggy features?
                    I've recently tried Gnome 46 and I can tell you that it's a solid release. Even the initial 46.0 release. And no, Plasma 6.0 is still too buggy for an Ubuntu LTS release. Haven't you seen the amount of new bugs with this release? I suggest you watch Brodie Robertson's stream where he tests Plasma 6 and see the random freezes he experiences when doing simple stuff.

Besides, KDE's VRR implementation still has issues too.

I don't care about what is considered experimental and what not. When KDE dropped VRR support like more than a year ago, it worked for me from day 1 just great. Ubuntu devs are just puppies that are happy to eat that crap immediately as it is dropped upstream.

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    And if you desperately want Plasma 6 on 24.04, some Kubuntu dev has recently said it will eventually ship with Kubuntu backports PPA. By that time, it will probably be some newer future version of Plasma 6 with even more fixed bugs.
                    I am not retarded enough yet to use Ubuntu on my main machine. I am a happy Arch user and KDE 6 worked there great immediately after it dropped in repositories. I didn't even noticed that it updated until I saw some icons being dark on dark theme - yea, that were the most major bugs for me.

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                    VRR is experimental (for every Gnome-based distro) and is not part of Ubuntu's advertised GNOME feature set. So there is no bug here.

KDE 6 is not LTS-ready and it's even not in Debian, so it cannot be in Ubuntu.
                    Can you tell me which GNOME versions are considered LTS? Oh yes, there are none. But for some reason just yet another major GNOME release is allowed to make it into LTS distro and KDE is not.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                      Ubuntu: ships LTS with GNOME full of buggy features
                      Also Ubuntu: KDE 6? Not on my watch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                      Sounds like Windows would be a better match for you. Hmmm….you’re still here? Go….why are you here? Leave now. Buhhh bye. Tah tah….

Comment

Working...
                      X