No announcement yet.

xconsole 1.1 Released - Preparing For Post-Y2038 Support, 18 Years After v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xconsole 1.1 Released - Preparing For Post-Y2038 Support, 18 Years After v1.0

Phoronix: xconsole 1.1 Released - Preparing For Post-Y2038 Support, 18 Years After v1.0

Longtime X.Org maintainer Alan Coopersmith with Oracle released a new version of xconsole, the program that displays an X11 window containing the messages sent to /dev/console. This xconsole 1.1 release comes 18 years after the xconsole 1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Old OS support" - I was under the impression that AIX and HP-UX were still actively maintained Unix OSes? Is that no longer the case?
    Also, the only OS I've ever seen make use of the Xconsole is OpenBSD on their XDM login prompt and inside the default FVWM2 window manager session. I've never seen a Linux distro display the Xconsole before?

Comment

But why? I thought the Wayland fanboys agreed that X.org and XWayland wouldn't be used anymore beyond 2038?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        But why? I thought the Wayland fanboys agreed that X.org and XWayland wouldn't be used anymore beyond 2038?
        I haven't seen any Xorg or Wayland developers ever claim this. Xorg server is no longer maintained. However, X11 applications will continue to be supported via XWayland for the foreseeable future. Wayland and Xorg is managed by the same foundation and same set of developers, so there is general agreement on this path.

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post
          Xorg server is no longer maintained.

Looks maintained to me.

Wayland and Xorg is managed by the same foundation and same set of developers, so there is general agreement on this path.
          Nah, since Xorg is considered nearing complete, many of the developers have moved on (for example Alan Coopersmith in the article, a former board member) and do the maintaining work in a distributed manner.

Consider x.org a cybersquatted domain to push an unrelated project. It needs a whole new board for one. I recommend the maintainers of the CDE or FVWM projects. Some of them have expressed interest and (looking at the IRC logs) will have more impact.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 29 April 2024, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Looks maintained to me
            Proper maintenance is more than just occasional commits. It includes things like regular releases and feature work but you already know that.

Nah, most of the developers have moved on (for example Alan Coopersmith in the article
            All current Xorg and Wayland work is done by the same people and is managed by the same foundation. That's just the truth.

Consider x.org a cybersquatted domain to push an unrelated project.
            Nah, I will stick to reality.

Comment

Proper maintenance is more than just occasional commits. It includes things like regular releases and feature work but you already know that.
              No it doesn't. Maintenance rarely involves new features. Everyone knows that.

All current Xorg and Wayland work is done by the same people and is managed by the same foundation. That's just the truth.
              Nope. If you look at the recent team, you will see they are quite different. For one, many of the original Xorg guys are going to be nearing retirement age.

Nah, I will stick to reality.
              Sure, good luck with that

Comment

Maintenance rarely involves new features
                Nonsense. Active maintenance often involves new features. Your experience seems limited to mostly dead projects.

If you look at the recent team, you will see they are quite different
                I did and can spot plenty of overlap.

For one, many of the original Xorg guys are going to be nearing retirement age
                Plenty of them are dead too. I am only counting active developers obviously.

Comment

I haven't seen any Xorg or Wayland developers ever claim this. Xorg server is no longer maintained. However, X11 applications will continue to be supported via XWayland for the foreseeable future. Wayland and Xorg is managed by the same foundation and same set of developers, so there is general agreement on this path.
                  I said X.org FANBOYS. Developers are fans too in a way, but that's not what "fanboys" generally means. Also, look at the emoticon at the end of my post: it was supposed to be a little joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I said X.org FANBOYS. Developers are fans too in a way, but that's not what "fanboys" generally means. Also, look at the emoticon at the end of my post: it was supposed to be a little joke.
                    You actually said Wayland fanboys but I understand you were just joking. I am mostly responding because inevitably some folks will take it literally and quoting it as the authoritative source since Phoronix folks love to be doomers.

Comment

Working...
                    X