No announcement yet.

GTK 4.15 Released With Vulkan Renderer By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it going to be possible to implement MATE desktop in GTK4? Long term that's all I really care about. I have ported some of my applications to gtk4 but they were too simple to really know how it's going to go, the tray icon situation is disappointing so far, same with being unable to embed a slider widget in any sort of menu object (Volume control wtf!?). I also found that wayfire wouldn't handle GTK4 applications properly. There's an open ticket they're working on for it which should be fixed soon.

Comment

Where are these new renderers in the stack? Do they fully replace Cairo? Why does GTK in Debian still depend on Cairo? Is it only there for the Cairo drawing area widget?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        Great! Now if only GTK4 wasn’t useless for anything more complex than a mobile app…
        Why all the hate?

Comment

How does this work on multi-gpu systems like all AMD laptops where running a Vulkan game automatically uses the dGPU as a renderer? Does the dGPU get fired up just to render a 2D app? If that was the case, having to set MESA_VK_DEVICE_SELECT all over the place would get annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
            How does this work on multi-gpu systems like all AMD laptops where running a Vulkan game automatically uses the dGPU as a renderer? Does the dGPU get fired up just to render a 2D app? If that was the case, having to set MESA_VK_DEVICE_SELECT all over the place would get annoying.
            So you want to forbid software from using Vulkan unless being 3D-intensive?

Comment

I hope that fallback to OGL works? As example I have ARM 8core board Rock5B and technically it supports Vulkan but there is no proper implementation in the mesa yet. I think it will take them another year... So it would be good for such a fallback work - especially on ARM and RISCV devices

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                Well, the driver selection will net to get refined. Sooner or later most apps, toolkits and compositors will use Vulkan. But IIRC there's a hint for desktop files already if an app should be run on the secondary GPU.

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                I hope that fallback to OGL works?
                It does.

Comment

Vulkan is almost a decade old by now, yes use it as the default renderer backend! There are no risks.
                  Drivers are mature, no decent hardware is missing support, things like that should not need so many years to be done.
                  Let’s make everything Vulkan and move on!

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Trolls like you care enough to leave a comment under every related topic.
                    ok junior

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                      Great! Now if only GTK4 wasn’t useless for anything more complex than a mobile app…
                      If only gtk4 targetted mobile apps...

gtk4 targets larger apps. Mobile support is tacked on top via libadwaita (or libhandy for gtk3).

Ofcourse an ignorant troll will not know this.

Comment

Working...
                      X