No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As an outsider, the GNOME Community looks very unwelcoming to new people. Outside merge requests go unanswered for years (even when a bug fix), yet similar merge requests from known contributors get through at a much much faster pace. People are ostracised as rude or ungrateful when asking for features or when giving feedback at how a design choice hurts their usage (appindicators...).

Examples
    Triple buffering patch
    DRM leases
    AppIndicators
    Drop of Xorg support

Comment

• Originally posted by Eonfge View Post
      Their funding problems are in part part because projects like Cinnamon, Mate, Budgie and Elementary Desktop are bringing in hundreds of thousands a year...
      To think, if their attitude towards things like removing features, theming, accepting "options" to be added to settings without the need of extensions or tweak apps for basic stuff (even if the defaults remained the same as they are today), or being less hostile to user feedback was different, all that funding could have gone towards Gnome itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoog View Post
        I may have remembered it incorrectly. I'm pretty sure that when people started asking for KDE 5, or asking how to install KDE 5, the KDE people asked to stop deadnaming their project because it's called KF 5.
        Yes, it sounds like your memory is mixing things up.

There was never any move or even consideration to change the KDE name and we can still see it being in use today.

Frameworks was introduced as a name for the set of KDE's library products, which had until then often been considered internals rather than Qt addon libraries.

Giving an emphasis that these are separate products of the same "vendor" (KDE) made many Qt based projects (FOSS and in companies) reconsider and use these libraries like any other suitably licensed 3rd party software.

About the same time KDE's desktop product also got a name of its own (Plasma) because, unlike KDE's applications, it didn't really have one until then.

It is hard to imagine from our current point of view but that did confuse a couple of people who weren't aware that a software vendor/community could have multiple products with distinct names.

Nowadays almost nobody has any difficulty with that concept anymore as most organisations make distinctions between their vendor name and their product name(s)

Comment

• well well well 🍿😂
          its fun watching them slapped by facts but still refuse to accept the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            As an outsider, the GNOME Community looks very unwelcoming to new people. Outside merge requests go unanswered for years (even when a bug fix), yet similar merge requests from known contributors get through at a much much faster pace. People are ostracised as rude or ungrateful when asking for features or when giving feedback at how a design choice hurts their usage (appindicators...).

Examples
            Triple buffering patch
            DRM leases
            AppIndicators
            Drop of Xorg support
            What's the usecase? wonftix​

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoog View Post
              All your quarrels with GPL and AGPL pale in comparison to the mighty SSPL
              I just looked it up, WTF?!?

Why would anyone ever use any software that was released under those conditions and why would anyone ever comply with them?

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I just looked it up, WTF?!?

Why would anyone ever use any software that was released under those conditions and why would anyone ever comply with them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server...Public_License
                MongoDB probably tried to capitalize on the bigdata bandwagon in the mid 2010s. I even remember there was a fork of MongoDB, but I don't remember if it was because of the license

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

it is convergence on your phone yes... but people say they can not port GTK3 apps to GTK4 because they removed essencial desktop functionality.

in other words now you can only develop phone apps but no longer desktop apps.
                    As someone who does GTK app development, I disagree. You still develop desktop apps. You test the apps on your desktop. You test the apps on your phone. They work on both. It's up to the app developer getting both form factors feel right. There are also guides and special widgets to make this easier.

I would agree on that it's not easy in every case of application to pull off. But given that you avoid porting and maintaining only one project instead of two, it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X