GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post

If you don't release, then the only way to use your software is to use a whatever the current git commit is. Also, you don't need binaries to make a release.
    Git is magical in that it stores *all* commits and the way that FOSS projects tend to work now is that the packager for the individual distribution will build the package (rather than the upstream project).

For very large software (i.e a desktop environments, Xorg, etc) consisting of *multiple* projects, you will find that very few distros have a package that exactly matches a concept of a release. Usually it will have platform specific patches, backports, etc. Then each of the individual components will all be at different versions.

A website with a "release" binary (which is what woddy was clearly referring to) is fairly redundant.

As an example, what "release" would you say Xorg was at? X11R7 was the last release which is meaningless. The current version is 21.1.13. Same concept applies to Mate.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 27 April 2024, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

ebassi has to be one of the worst things to for linux community. Yes there are plenty of worse people, hell I might be one of them, but at least im not part of a major project. His shitty attitudes have prevented many would be contributors to gnome projects, both financial and code contributions included. Has played a large roll in destroying the reputation of "gnome developers"
      Exactly. It's one thing to talk a bunch of shit anonymously or under a non-GNOME associated user name, but when you're talking shit publicly with your real name at places like in your organizations Git comments and official Reddit pages and other GNOME users aren't pushing back against that kind of attitude it then makes it look like GNOME approves of that kind of talk and actions.

We know GNOME doesn't approve of those actions because GNOME has a Code of Conduct. Based on rmoog's post alone, Emmanuele Bassi has violated the GNOME Code of Conduct -- both sexual identity harassment in a community space and level of experience/education.

GNOME should either fire him or, if he's a valuable programmer like Linus Torvalds, troll him by making him go to sensitivity training.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
        Next time write "Messages must have five words" and post your real message as a picture
        i am pretty sure they also delete it if i post it as a picture. there are many unwanted truth out there.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Exactly. It's one thing to talk a bunch of shit anonymously or under a non-GNOME associated user name, but when you're talking shit publicly with your real name at places like in your organizations Git comments and official Reddit pages and other GNOME users aren't pushing back against that kind of attitude it then makes it look like GNOME approves of that kind of talk and actions.
          We know GNOME doesn't approve of those actions because GNOME has a Code of Conduct. Based on rmoog's post alone, Emmanuele Bassi has violated the GNOME Code of Conduct -- both sexual identity harassment in a community space and level of experience/education.
          GNOME should either fire him or, if he's a valuable programmer like Linus Torvalds, troll him by making him go to sensitivity training.
          Code of Conduct was always complete nonsense.

sane people always reacted to this nonsense like this:

Richard Stallman - "I disapprove of strict codes of conduct. They feel rigid and repressive to me."

GNU Kind:
          https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-...cation.en.html

Richard Stallman has proposed the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines in response to calls for a code of conduct from some people. A code of conduct was met with resistance by some, including Stallman.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Who's at the top of the Gnome food chain - who makes all these decisions? They're constantly losing money so they hire a con artist to 'fix their financing' problem and ppl think this is good business? Unbelievable. I usually don't care what my DE is but is KDE any good? Are they as harebrained and incompetent? I read, here, that the GNOME project doesn't involve the Foundation in their coding and tech part - but, it is still part of the amount of money they have to invest in, right? So, it DOES MATTER?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              is but is KDE any good? Are they as harebrained and incompetent?
              Here are my key takeaways from 14 straight years of using KDE and derivatives:
              1. KDE 4 was a mistake.
              2. C++11 was the only redeeming quality to that idiotic mess because it slashed memory usage by 75%, but it happened far too late.
              3. LXQt and Trinity are pretty good if you wanna run Gentoo, very solid package maintainership and very solid experience.
              4. When a new major version of KDE comes out you can expect Gentoo to drag its feet for years. I didn't stop using LXQt specifically because it took more than a year for Gentoo to adopt KDE 5. After a year of checking the Gentoo wiki on how to install KDE 5, when it still insisted that it's called KFC 5, I just stopped bothering and moved on. Computers are ultimately for work, not for installing shiny bullshit.
              5. KDE is good if you're using a binary distro. Every time I set up Fedora with KDE for someone they praise it for the solid and reliable experience.
              6. LXQt has hardly changed visually in the 10 years I'm using it which is the best thing about it. No stupid UX air-headed trend-chasing hitler shit like in Gnome or Windows 8.
              7. Reporting bugs to KDE and LXQt is a good experience.
              8. Reporting Wayland bugs to KDE is something that will make people ignore your bug reports and if they manage to bother responding to you after weeks of awkward silence, they will try to deflect that they're not doing anything with Wayland, or that it's not Wayland's fault. This is weird and stupid. At least they're not doing the Wayland thrall bingo by starting to blurt "it's just a protocol" and total tourist bullshit "why do so many people hate wayland".
              Last edited by rmoog; 27 April 2024, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The hated M$ is a sponsor of the Linux Foundation (platinum), Apache Foundation (platinum), Rust Foundation, OpenJS Foundation, Python Software Foundation, OpenStack Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, etc.

And what do you support? Of every dollar spent on Windows (by stupid users), a small fraction goes to open source foundations.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's why GNOME is trying to fundraise themselves into having a Universal Basic Income. Even the free hot spring mineral water my town provides on tap requires the expenditure of driving there, a container to put it in, and driving back home. Free water is only as free as the resources to obtain the water. Free software is the same.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread."

"​FOSS, in its majestic equality, grants the rich and poor alike the abilities to code in a cafe, to donate their time to board meetings, and to fork the sources."

The code itself might be licensed free, but the time, servers, and bandwidth to compile and distribute the code costs money. The programmers cost money. Travel costs money. The time to do it yourself costs money.

Freedom isn't free
                  Donate to KDE

To use free software in your home
                  Pony up and donate to GNOME
                  What if I’m a rizzed out twm user with bemenu!?

Comment

Richard Stallman - "I disapprove of strict codes of conduct. They feel rigid and repressive to me."

GNU Kind:
                    https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-...cation.en.html

Richard Stallman has proposed the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines in response to calls for a code of conduct from some people. A code of conduct was met with resistance by some, including Stallman.
                    The irony of the creator of the GPL expressing this view is palpable,

The idiotic license he created is literally "rigid and repressive" and the definition of a "strict code of conduct".

Talk about not being self aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

What if I’m a rizzed out twm user with bemenu!?
                      If you're a rizzed out user it isn't so simple
                      Donate to X.org and sponsor bemenu

Comment

Working...
                      X