GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
    They're so abrasive when it comes to certain contributions like the recent DRM leasing protocol stuff in https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1743 that I find it hard to justify giving the project money. I've been donating €100 to KDE instead.
    i have a question is the CLA-WAR problem in QT/KDE solved ? or else all the code and money you put into that will end up as closed source code at microsoft windows and apple macos commercialized ...
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I am truly shocked that it is not possible to make money while giving your software away for free.
      Even more shocking, giving software away for free that sucks beyond belief still doesn't help you make money.
      Every one of these open source projects, every distro, every DE, all of them, before they release a piece of software, they should ask themselves a very basic question: if I were to release this as a product you have to pay a per seat license for, would people buy it?
      The answer for most open source software is NO.
      Gnome is a HELL NO!!
      I do however have a great idea on how they can resolve their money problems, stop "developing" Gnome, shut the project down, disavow any knowledge or ties to it and move on to a more rewarding career of perhaps pumping gas or selling hot dogs at parades.
      Seriously, I hope the get no funding and have to stop with the half-assed releases and go get real jobs.
      we all know you favor closed source and commercial products and if linux and open-source then of course CLA-WAR QT/KDE where all your code you add to the project results in your IP intelectual property is stolen and turned into closed source at microsoft app store and apple app store to get as much money for closed source at possible.

and the money they earn with that scam of course does not go back into open source world no of course not is a one-way vampiristic system.

but it looks like the sane people are on COSMIC now they exited the C++ insanity QT and also exited the gnome insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarmer View Post
        What. The. Hell.
        Wow - how on earth did this nutcase get hired to be their new EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ... ?????????????????????????? excuse me wtf?
        I've suddenly lost a lot of respect for the entire gnome project. Ouch.
        yes right it hit me hard to... and these these hippies sing about Energy Vampires but it looks more like they are the vampires who suck the money from open-source projects.

Energy Vampires - Shanin Blake

Bad Btch Energy - shanin blake

Comment

Originally posted by Jarmer View Post

What. The. Hell.

Wow - how on earth did this nutcase get hired to be their new EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ... ?????????????????????????? excuse me wtf?

I've suddenly lost a lot of respect for the entire gnome project. Ouch.
          I am around plenty of these types. They're harmless enough, mostly they stay in their lane talking ethereal blah blah conspiracy 3432 yadda. Some are even 9 to 5 coders they just don't give a shit about coding culture.

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post

I am around plenty of these types. They're harmless enough, mostly they stay in their lane talking ethereal blah blah conspiracy 3432 yadda. Some are even 9 to 5 coders they just don't give a shit about coding culture.
            While that may be true, if I were going to do a big donation I would do my due diligence and look up the directors and board members etc... If I saw this person as their ED, I would instantly cancel any thoughts of funding. The foundation HAS to understand that if they hire a mentally ill person that it'll reflect poorly on them and hurt them financially. This woman needs professional help, not to be leading the efforts of an entire project the size of this.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Convergence never happened, it's a desktop interface so make it an actual desktop interface ffs...
              I have three phones here running GNOME applications natively. Most of them are pretty usable. On of these phones is my daily driver. I've also tried the gnome-shell branch with the changes to bring it to mobile form factor. It was pretty impressive while still being in development. If all that isn't convergence, I don't know what is.

Still I don't think these changes have been priority at GNOME. But developers are just fascinated by that concept. You can maintain one application to serve multiple kinds of devices. That could lead to more users overall while keeping the required work to handle it in a reasonable amount.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackiNonster View Post
                I have three phones here running GNOME applications natively. Most of them are pretty usable. On of these phones is my daily driver. I've also tried the gnome-shell branch with the changes to bring it to mobile form factor. It was pretty impressive while still being in development. If all that isn't convergence, I don't know what is.
                Still I don't think these changes have been priority at GNOME. But developers are just fascinated by that concept. You can maintain one application to serve multiple kinds of devices. That could lead to more users overall while keeping the required work to handle it in a reasonable amount.
                it is convergence on your phone yes... but people say they can not port GTK3 apps to GTK4 because they removed essencial desktop functionality.

in other words now you can only develop phone apps but no longer desktop apps.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

looks like someone deleted a post about the gnome outreachy program...

this is clearly a "go Woke go Broke"
                  its really no wonder if these gnome foundary people drive a woke diversity and Gender LGBTQP+ agenda that then
                  people no longer send them money.

i can say it for myself i would never send money to a woke diversity/Gender LGBTQP+ organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

It seems like a dead project, the latest release is in 2021.
                    Are you trolling?

Last change was 10 hours ago.

MATE Desktop Environment. MATE Desktop has 45 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Gnome's website doesn't even *have* releases.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 26 April 2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

It seems like a dead project, the latest release is in 2021.
                      There we go again. Any project that receives a lot of commits every day or week, but doesn't release every three months, is dead. Come on, man. I'm not a MATE user, but it's very mature and has a ton of features already, so it doesn't need timely releases. Just check out their GitHub to see for yourself that they are committing very frequently: https://github.com/mate-desktop

Edit: and also, their main website is a bit outdated. The latest releases are from this year, the very latest even earlier this month:
                      Library with common API for various MATE modules. Contribute to mate-desktop/mate-desktop development by creating an account on GitHub.

Last edited by Vistaus; 26 April 2024, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X