Systemd 256-rc1 Brings A Huge Number Of New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Most systemd haters have moved on to something without systemd or they've learned to STFU about it because the rest of the world doesn't want to hear how systemd is victimizing them. Systemd haters are like people in America who live in river valleys then complain about the annual flooding.

No shit. You live in a river valley. People have been farming annually flooding river valleys for at least 12000 years. Either move or STFU about it.

You're not a victim of flooding. You're stupid for living somewhere where it floods regularly and not moving, investing on a house on stilts, building a dyke around your house...

Nope, you just keep on keepin on in the danger zone. I'd tell you to go cry a river, but God already did that and you didn't get the hint.

That's how we see systemd complainers. They're annual flood "victims".

There are lots of fine non-systemd options but they'd rather use something with systemd and play the victim. It's like, STFU and GTFO
    This is actually not a good analogy at all.

Comment

Most systemd haters have moved on to something without systemd or they've learned to STFU about it because the rest of the world doesn't want to hear how systemd is victimizing them. Systemd haters are like people in America who live in river valleys then complain about the annual flooding.

No shit. You live in a river valley. People have been farming annually flooding river valleys for at least 12000 years. Either move or STFU about it.

You're not a victim of flooding. You're stupid for living somewhere where it floods regularly and not moving, investing on a house on stilts, building a dyke around your house...

Nope, you just keep on keepin on in the danger zone. I'd tell you to go cry a river, but God already did that and you didn't get the hint.

There are lots of fine non-systemd options but they'd rather use something with systemd and play the victim. It's like, STFU and GTFO
      This. ‘Nuff said.

Comment

Thank GOD for Gentoo. If not for them then moving on wouldn't even been possible. The blackhole sucked in every thing it could to the point where Linux wasn't even possible without it.... Gentoo saved us all.... Even systemd users are better off because of them!

You need to actually read about what happened. You're so wrong and its because you don't even know the facts of the past. You want to talk about revisionist history, that's it right there!
        Last edited by duby229; 26 April 2024, 10:28 AM.

Comment

If there were some morons who created the rivers in the first place, rather than nature, your analogy would make more sense. And yes, in that case they can and should complain to the culprits who installed the rivers there.

Comment

vpick sounds kind of cool, if I'm understanding this correctly I could potentially remove my versioned setup of:
            Code:
            /opt/program/v1.0.0
            /opt/program/v1.0.1
            /opt/program/default -> /opt/program/v1.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by pc777 View Post
              "systemd by default will refuse to boot". shit like this is why its developers get deserving hate.
              i am pretty sure systemd doesnt support kernels without cgroups2, and hasnt for a long time.
              whats the reason to stick with v1?

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Let me teach you the basics:

All messages about sshd: journalctl -t sshd.
                or.
                journalctl -u ssh where -u == unit

Messages about sshd from the last boot:
                journalctl -t sshd -b0

Messages about sshd from the last boot in the reverse order:
                journalctl -t sshd -b0 -r

Not that steep learning curve
                Don't forget that you can also use "journalctl /usr/sbin/sshd" to get all the logs from that exact specific binary.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Thank GOD for Gentoo. If not for them then moving on wouldn't even been possible. The blackhole sucked in every thing it could to the point where Linux wasn't even possible without it.... Gentoo saved us all.... Even systemd users are better off because of them!

You need to actually read about what happened. You're so wrong and its because you don't even know the facts of the past. You want to talk about revisionist history, that's it right there!
                ​What do you mean "what happened", all of us where there at the time and nothing happened except distros started to like and use systemd. Gentoo changed nothing about systemd, what happened was exactly what skeevy wrote, most of you simply moved on, aka the change was on the anti systemd side.
                Last edited by F.Ultra; 26 April 2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Let me teach you the basics:

All messages about sshd: journalctl -t sshd.
                  or.
                  journalctl -u ssh where -u == unit

Messages about sshd from the last boot:
                  journalctl -t sshd -b0

Messages about sshd from the last boot in the reverse order:
                  journalctl -t sshd -b0 -r

Not that steep learning curve
                  how about show the journal for a service the last time it was restarted?

sadly, you'll need something like this

Code:
                  journalctl _SYSTEMD_INVOCATION_ID=`systemctl show -p InvocationID --value my.service`​

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

how about show the journal for a service the last time it was restarted?

sadly, you'll need something like this

Code:
                    journalctl _SYSTEMD_INVOCATION_ID=`systemctl show -p InvocationID --value my.service`​
                    Patches welcome. Also, it's not like you could do that with muh plain text logs either.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

There seems to be an alternative history of Linux you have conjured for yourself. Please elucidate. Other than that, Gentoo is a nice hobbyist engineering project. I’m glad it’s around. However, compared to just the installs worldwide from IoT to hyper scalers of Red Hat, Suse and Ubuntu alone, Gentoo is a tiny minority. It’s great from an engineering test bed of making optimized and if need be compact builds, but that’s all it’s ever going to be. If it suits your particular compute needs, party on Garth. I’m glad to see that the stupid and unproductive fragmentation that has cursed Linux from the jump is slowly coming to an end at least in terms of frameworks and protocols such as systemd, Pipewire, Vulkan, Wayland. Unfortunately we still have stupid and unproductive fragmentation concerning containerized apps with three, Snaps, Flatpak, and Appimage, and DEs such as KDE and Gnome. Hopefully within a decade IBM will have a confab with Canonical and devise a “best of” unified container scheme combining the best of Flatpak and Snaps. My God, there were at least 4 memory interconnect schemes at one time, Intel CXL, HP Gen-Z, ARM CCIX and IBMs CAPI. Yet they all got together and open sourced their protocols and gave it all to one org. It’s still called CXL but CXL will cover everything that each protocol was originally focusing on. Linux World particularly Corporate Linux World needs to pull their heads out of their asses and do the same. It is beyond stupid and unproductive to have DEBS and RPMs and Flatpaks and Snaps and Appimage. There is one container protocol for Window apps. There’s one for Apple apps. But NOoooo, stupid Linux has 5 ways to package an effing app and that’s not including hobbyist projects like Gentoo. Fortunately the corporate world and the hyper scalers are going to weed this shit out. Everything is being containerized. And right now Canonical Snaps are preferred in this world. Flatpaks might have captured more of the personal Linux user and the anti-Snap zeitgeist, however Microsoft won the PC war vs Apple by making the same experience available to the home user as the corporate user. The same will happen in 5-10 years in Linux. My bet is on Snaps. But it will be better if IBM comes in good faith to Canonical as say “Let’s unify our two containerized app schemes for the betterment of both of us and the larger Linux world.”

Comment

Working...
                      X