Linux 6.10 Preps A Kernel Panic Screen - Sort Of A "Blue Screen of Death"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

As far as I'm aware Windows still to this day blue screens if you eject a disc while it's reading. I don't think they've fixed anything, I'm pretty sure it's still the same code as from NT4.
    No it doesn't do that. When was the last time you tried?

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

No it doesn't do that. When was the last time you tried?
      I just checked it on an updated Windows 10 and a Windows 7, still happens on windows 7.

Well, I guess I should have checked before I spoke. Thank you and sorry.

Comment

So yeah, I just spent half the day trying to replicate this and you guys are absolutely right. I couldn't believe it but it's true. And it goes back years actually. I'm finding it incredible that a hang to a black screen is even possible.

EDIT: I've always told people that one of the great things about Linux was that it couldn't just freeze with no output, but that's exactly what this does.... I'm glad this is getting resolved but somehow I feel let down.
        Last edited by duby229; 19 April 2024, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          So yeah, I just spent half the day trying to replicate this and you guys are absolutely right. I couldn't believe it but it's true. And it goes back years actually. I'm finding it incredible that a hang to a black screen is even possible.

EDIT: I've always told people that one of the great things about Linux was that it couldn't just freeze with no output, but that's exactly what this does.... I'm glad this is getting resolved but somehow I feel let down.
          I generally avoid making statements along the lines of Linux will always do this or never do that without a direct expert source. There are thousands of configuration knobs for the kernel alone and the kernel developers themselves have never said that the kernel will never freeze. No a single mainstream OS will make that promise. If you trigger a bug before a subsystem responsible for showing the output is initialized, it is always possible to freeze. It is just atypical.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Great, but please don't copy Windows.

I am legitimately hoping the mentions of BSoD in the article are just clickbait...
            I believe they're taking inspiration from Haiku's QR Code-enabled kernel crash screen.

...though, even if they do make it blue, it'd still not be a Microsoft invention. Windows copied that color scheme from the firmware (i.e. BIOS/UEFI counterpart) for a MIPS box that Windows NT support was being worked on for at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I believe they're taking inspiration from Haiku's QR Code-enabled kernel crash screen.

...though, even if they do make it blue, it'd still not be a Microsoft invention. Windows copied that color scheme from the firmware (i.e. BIOS/UEFI counterpart) for a MIPS box that Windows NT support was being worked on for at the time.
              The color is actually customizable, it defaults to 0x00000000 now though https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm...2c8fdfe0ff0a2a so you could compile a kernel with CONFIG_DRM_PANIC_BACKGROUND_COLOR=0x000080 if you so choose. lol

But there is no QR code encoding in this iteration as there is no kernel mode qr encoding as of now in Linux yet AFAIK
              Last edited by nerdopolis; 19 April 2024, 11:23 PM.

Comment

It's time to abandon ship

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post

The color is actually customizable, it defaults to 0x00000000 now though https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm...2c8fdfe0ff0a2a so you could compile a kernel with CONFIG_DRM_PANIC_BACKGROUND_COLOR=0x000080 if you so choose. lol

But there is no QR code encoding in this iteration as there is no kernel mode qr encoding as of now in Linux yet AFAIK
                  Hmm. I wonder if I was thinking of something else or if that was just something they aspired to for a later version.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Hmm. I wonder if I was thinking of something else or if that was just something they aspired to for a later version.
                    They were talking about the possibility of QR encoded crash messages years ago, I think there are older articles about it, but I don't think anything came of that.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Only if you're not running a desktop environment while the panic is happening. AFAIK The linux kernel never had a way to switch to a tty in case of panic.
                      I still remember my first days on a linux kernel, nothing happens when it freeze!

Comment

Working...
                      X