No announcement yet.

Linux 6.10 Preps A Kernel Panic Screen - Sort Of A "Blue Screen of Death"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda looking forwards to a usable bsod. not that I would pretty much ever use it. but still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Only if you're not running a desktop environment while the panic is happening. AFAIK The linux kernel never had a way to switch to a tty in case of panic.
      Even if a VT console, it's hit or miss. If your VTs are using FBCON instead of the BIOS text mode (whatever that is called) if a VT is active, and the kernel panics, it appears as a hang too

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        This is yet more fallout from the halfbrained idea of removing kernel VT. It's such a loss of functionality and reliability to rely on userspace terminals to access kernel console.
        Since you know better, you should go and add it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Since you know better, you should go and add it back in.
          It's not yet removed.

But i can accept that the maintainers don't want to put in the work to keep it working well or even fix existing issues, so easier to just rip it out. That's why i said halfbained instead of braindead because there are valid arguments for their plan.

Comment

Great, but please don't copy Windows.

I am legitimately hoping the mentions of BSoD in the article are just clickbait...

Comment

This would be nice. In my experience the currently most reliable methods for capturing a panic is either using a serial cable or pstore.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Only if you're not running a desktop environment while the panic is happening. AFAIK The linux kernel never had a way to switch to a tty in case of panic.
                This is the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title. However, it seems like it will not actually be fixed since the more usual (during runtime) DRM drivers are not covered?

Comment

But with Linux kernel panics typically not happening too often, this handler will likely see little activity compared to the notorious days of Windows Blue Screen of Death messages.
                  It's true that Linux kernel panics don't happen frequently, but I haven't seen a BSOD for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

This is the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title. However, it seems like it will not actually be fixed since the more usual (during runtime) DRM drivers are not covered?
                    Support in other drivers will likely come later AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

It's true that Linux kernel panics don't happen frequently, but I haven't seen a BSOD for a long time either.
                      As far as I'm aware Windows still to this day blue screens if you eject a disc while it's reading. I don't think they've fixed anything, I'm pretty sure it's still the same code as from NT4.

Comment

Working...
                      X