No announcement yet.

Mesa 24.1 Now Supports Vulkan Explicit Synchronization On X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously it's for Mesa since Nvidia always supported explicit sync (and only explicit sync). And it only sucked on Wayland because it already worked on X11.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a bad thing, I guess hysterical Wayland fanboys cannot be reasoned with after all.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Ok i am a bit confused, what is explicit sync? cuz the way i understood it, explicit sync on wayland was there so u could turn vsync off, for the first time in wayland history, cuz some absolute low iq jackasses designed the damn thing.
      Perhaps the only absolute low iq jackass here is the one who got confused by his own misunderstanding?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        So much for XOrg being dead and receiving no updates meanwhile wayland is still as useless as it was 16 years ago
        A sure sign that delusional people are indeed clinically delusional is that they actually believe the lies they tell to themselves and others.

Or….it’s simply a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

A sure sign that delusional people are indeed clinically delusional is that they actually believe the lies they tell to themselves and others.

Or….it’s simply a troll.
          Mxan is known troll. Everytime Wayland is mentioned he spews that stuff, it's like an obsession of his. Mxan is for Wayland what kpedersen is for Rust.

Comment

Ok i am a bit confused, what is explicit sync? cuz the way i understood it, explicit sync on wayland was there so u could turn vsync off, for the first time in wayland history, cuz some absolute low iq jackasses designed the damn thing.

What does this bring us on x11?
            Looks like you can’t even understand at all what the low IQ jackasses are doing nor the context of what you criticize … time to worry for yourself.

Comment

Why imply when you can explicitly explain! Now I can rock harder when I launch TWM in a rootless full-screen XWayland session, party like it's 1989!

Jokes aside, first time I got Linux installed in the early 2000s and was able to get the graphics layer working and launch TWM, that was pretty exciting for me

Comment

So much for XOrg being dead and receiving no updates meanwhile wayland is still as useless as it was 16 years ago
                I think you're misunderstanding why this happened. Explicit sync was added to X11 in order to benifit XWayland. The extension for X11 was literally based off the Wayland explicit sync protocol.

What's with X11 loyalists constantly doing this?

Comment

Wayland has had a protocol for disabling vsync for awhile now.

It's amazing that you feel confident enough insulting the IQ of the people who developed the protocol right after you established that you do not know what you're talking about. How did that not occur to you as you were typing that?

Comment

explicit sync allows an application to tell the driver it's done rendering and sync everything.
                    just to correct this a little - its not about renderering - it is about GPU tasks.

for example, say you want to send a texture from the machines ram to vram over an asynchronous (i.e. you start it and then carry on with other things) pixel buffer (pbo)

with "implicit sync" the fact that transfer needs to have finished is "implied" when something actually uses it, but all the scheduling to do that is left to the gpu driver.

with explicit sync, you get extra bits of api to say "wait here until this job is finished" - fences in vulkan terminology.

A better reference is therefore

Synchronization is a critical but often misunderstood part of the Vulkan API. The new VK_KHR_synchronization2 extension includes several improvements to make Vulkan Synchronization easier to use, without major changes to the fundamental concepts described below. We’ll highlight key differences introduced with Synchronization2 throughout the blog.

Last edited by mSparks; 16 April 2024, 10:00 PM.

Comment

You're thinking of the tearing control extension.

Comment

Working...
                      X