Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPower 1.90.4 Fixes Excessive Disk Writes & High CPU Usage

Phoronix: UPower 1.90.4 Fixes Excessive Disk Writes & High CPU Usage

UPower as the abstraction layer for enumerating power devices on Linux systems and allowing various battery / power supply features is out with a new feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most notable, UPower 1.90.4 fixes an issue around excessive disk writes and CPU usage. This bug report from four months ago noted high disk writes from the UPower daemon and that in the period of 12 hours around 7.5GB of data was written to disk...​
    Oh, yikes.

Comment

Do you need a upower package on a desktop it come installed by default in my distro ?

Comment

Originally posted by carguello2 View Post

Oh, yikes.
        This power save utility probably used more power than a system without any support for power management.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          Do you need a upower package on a desktop it come installed by default in my distro ?
          Comes default on just about every desktop distro

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            Couldn't remove it because of dependencies (gdm for example), but it's possible to disable it.

Code:
            systemctl stop upower.service
            systemctl disable upower.service
            systemctl mask upower.service

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

This power save utility probably used more power than a system without any support for power management.
              Yeah, that's what I think sometimes. From time to time I stare at htop and I can only see thermald or upower, so I wonder what would happen if I disable them...

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but i never got into those power mode things and p-states and whatever.

I have a shell script that uses cpupower to throttle the CPU, shuts down the NVIDIA GPU and hibernates the second HDD for when i want to have a silent laptop for internet browsing.
                I could never be bothered to research on how to make this "energy saving mode" stuff do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

There were still incoming events spawned from wherever...
                  Won't be able to test this until I fix my install. Managed to break both kernels at once, so I have a bit of work ahead of me.

Comment

Originally posted by carguello2 View Post
                    Oh, yikes.
                    This is what Windows does all the time in the background.

I am legit so sick of devs who write to the disk like it's their own backyard. Fuck off.

At least on Linux I can disable almost all of it and in worst case, if some dumb ass app still insists on it, I make the fucking file immutable. Get fucked.

GET OFF MY DISKS. KEEP YOUR STUPID LOGGING TO YOURSELVES.

Comment

Working...
                    X