ASUS WMI Driver For Linux Preps New Features For Recent ASUS Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS WMI Driver For Linux Preps New Features For Recent ASUS Laptops

Phoronix: ASUS WMI Driver For Linux Preps New Features For Recent ASUS Laptops

Open-source developer Luke Junes continues doing a great job near single-handedly improving ASUS laptop support for Linux users. His many improvements over time to the ASUS-WMI kernel driver has enabled new features and functionality for ASUS laptops on Linux. Sent out on Monday was the newest patch series with additional feature work to this driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't buy an Asus laptop, it is much better to buy a Dell XPS 13 which has official support for Linux by Dell and it also supports LVFS so you can update firmware from within Linux using fwupd. You can also buy system76 or HP.
    Ubuntu certified laptops. Many of the world’s biggest PC manufacturers certify their laptops for Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Don't buy an Asus laptop, it is much better to buy a Dell XPS 13 which has official support for Linux by Dell and it also supports LVFS so you can update firmware from within Linux using fwupd. You can also buy system76 or HP.
      with asus you can update firmware in bios with a pen drive, I had some asus and using linux was always a non problem sometimes they worked better with linux than windows

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

with asus you can update firmware in bios with a pen drive, I had some asus and using linux was always a non problem sometimes they worked better with linux than windows
        Then that is by accident or thanks to the hard work of volunteers.
        I would rather spend my money on a product from a company that actually supports Linux.

Comment

what if i don't want a 13 inch laptop?

but seriously, i am on an asus laptop on linux for over a year now, it has been perfectly solid, and mostly thanks to this asus-wmi driver and the asus-linux stack (asusctl & co).

The only thing that has not been working right is my mic array. It 'works' kinda, but on windows it is really high quality, on linux it is really low quality and generates an insane amount of noise (like i need to use hefty noise suppression in easyeffects to not give everyone i talk to online ear cancer lol, and it's still super bad even then).

before that i had an MSI laptop (damn that article seems a lil dated now; I don't have the laptop anymore so i can't really update it, i gave it to my brother, and he absolutely trashed the thing, ungrateful git), it was perfectly solid too, and only had minor issues, it had sound issues too as it happened but it could be solved with a sound driver setting i found through literal trial and error.

I do highly recommend verifying just how well a laptop is gonna work on linux before you buy one, but it's not strictly speaking necessary, both times i bought mine i just checked how well supported adjacent models seemed to be and if it seemed good enough for me, took the chance.
          Last edited by rabcor; 02 April 2024, 04:41 PM.

Comment

You can get AMD + Radeon laptops with 7xxx Radeon only with Asus TUF laptops as I know. 6xxx was with Lenovo legions

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

what if i don't want a 13 inch laptop?

but seriously, i am on an asus laptop on linux for over a year now, it has been perfectly solid, and mostly thanks to this asus-wmi driver and the asus-linux stack (asusctl & co).

The only thing that has not been working right is my mic array. It 'works' kinda, but on windows it is really high quality, on linux it is really low quality and generates an insane amount of noise (like i need to use hefty noise suppression in easyeffects to not give everyone i talk to online ear cancer lol, and it's still super bad even then).

before that i had an MSI laptop (damn that article seems a lil dated now; I don't have the laptop anymore so i can't really update it, i gave it to my brother, and he absolutely trashed the thing, ungrateful git), it was perfectly solid too, and only had minor issues, it had sound issues too as it happened but it could be solved with a sound driver setting i found through literal trial and error.

I do highly recommend verifying just how well a laptop is gonna work on linux before you buy one, but it's not strictly speaking necessary, both times i bought mine i just checked how well supported adjacent models seemed to be and if it seemed good enough for me, took the chance.
              If you don't want a 13 inch laptop I think Dell has XPS 15, XPS 16 and XPS 17 too, else there is HP EliteBook and System76, TUXDO Computers, etc.

MSI is even a worse choice than Asus, they're not Linux-friendly. If they work it is thanks to the hard work of volunteers. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI don't give a shit about Linux.

Comment

If you don't want a 13 inch laptop I think Dell has XPS 15, XPS 16 and XPS 17 too, else there is HP EliteBook and System76, TUXDO Computers, etc.

MSI is even a worse choice than Asus, they're not Linux-friendly. If they work it is thanks to the hard work of volunteers. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI don't give a shit about Linux.
                Sure, but the reality is, you can't always buy the brand or model you want, sometimes you have to budget, sometimes if you just objectively look at the specs, an asus or msi laptop is just a far better deal than a dell or hp one at a comparable price.

Everytime i am buying a new pc, about the first place i look is system76, but I am never going to not buy the best laptop i can get for my money, and if that's a laptop from a vendor with not that great linux support, but works anyways thanks to the hard work volunteers, then I will benefit from the hard work of those volunteers and i will fucking love it.

If I can spend 2000$ and get a laptop with an rtx 4070 from asus which will work on linux without official support, or I can pay 2000$ for a dell laptop with official support for linux but only a 6600M, with all other specs being roughly the same, i will always buy the ASUS laptop, because yes, ASUS has no official support for linux but thanks to the hard work of volunteers, it still works great so I don't have to worry about my laptop not working. And yes, the nvidia drivers on linux suck ass, but they also work just fine for what i need them for in the end.

So as much as I want those juicy amdgpu drivers and that fancy official linux support, it's a choice between a laptop that'll serve me for 2 years at best vs a laptop that could serve me for half a decade, it's a no brainer to me. If the difference is smaller than that, you know like, a bit less ram that i could just pay a lil extra to upgrade, or a bit less storage that i could also potentially upgrade, I'd probably be willing to sacrifice about that much to go for the laptop with better supprt, without much hesitation even, but laptops aren't like desktops, I am stuck with the gpu/cpu combo i get when I buy the thing, so I have to base my choice very largely on that, and I cannot compromise in that area, ever.

If I need a truck, i'm not buying a motorcycle because the company that made the motorcycle lines up better with my ideologies or something. Because what I need is a truck, and not a motorcycle.
                Last edited by rabcor; 03 April 2024, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X