No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Submits Lots Of Fixes For "Extreme Filesystem Damage" With Linux 6.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Submits Lots Of Fixes For "Extreme Filesystem Damage" With Linux 6.9

Phoronix: Bcachefs Submits Lots Of Fixes For "Extreme Filesystem Damage" With Linux 6.9

A new round of Bcachefs file-system fixes were submitted today for the Linux 6.9 kernel. This round consists of lots of fixes for dealing with "extreme file-system damage" on this experimental open-source file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data".

writing your own filesystem is hard.

But maybe that shouldn't be the first thing on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

I think it's more about the joke than taking the message verbatim ? Everything needs time to stabilize. Otherwise maybe some other catchphrase about its unique features.

Comment

The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data
        The data isn't eaten as long as it can recover it. This isn't "open_ctree failed" kind of bad where you have to recover to a fresh FS.

Comment

The COW filesystem for Linux that may eat your data and later regurgitate it.

If Bcachefs was ran on LUKS, is that 2 file systems, one CPU?

Has anyone's data actually been fully digested and turned to shit?

Is donating to Bcachefs considered animal cruelty because it's COW tipping?

Comment

Filesystem's only been around for a few months. Big fat nothing-burger.

Nobody sane should be using a filesystem until it's been around for at least 5 years. If it's >5 years old and still loosing people's data, then maybe it'll be worth criticism.

Comment

Is this yet another last minute change?

Originally posted by TiCPU View Post

The data isn't eaten as long as it can recover it. This isn't "open_ctree failed" kind of bad where you have to recover to a fresh FS.
              exactly this. I am find if my filesystem gets "corrupted" as long as I can reboot my PC and have it recover, I've intentionally absued my NVMe with bcachefs on it, and am super happy with it, I've done just about everything I can think of short of throwing a shit ton of random data at the block​. Recovering from random hard shut offs (a common issue for me due to poor electrical design and reliability in my house) has not had a single irrecoverable error yet.

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Nobody sane should be using a filesystem until it's been around for at least 5 years. If it's >5 years old and still loosing people's data, then maybe it'll be worth criticism.
              So far I don't actually know anyone personally that has irrecoverably lost data using bcachefs. So far it has a very good track record. This is about repairabiltiy should extreme data occur, not solving a bug where extreme damage has occured due to natural use

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

So far I don't actually know anyone personally that has irrecoverably lost data using bcachefs. So far it has a very good track record. This is about repairabiltiy should extreme data occur, not solving a bug where extreme damage has occured due to natural use
                I don't care one way or the other until the filesystem is several years old.

Comment

Improving data recovery capabilities has nothing to do with how prone the fs is to fail. Logical thinking isn't all that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

are you serious?

the thing has been always propaganded as perfect, rigorously programmed and tested to be bug free.
                    its author and its fanbois always use to denigrate btrfs against bcachefs ("the cow filesystem that won't eat your data")

and now what?

as expected, putting it on the field demonstrated that there's no perfect filesystem (especially until it go battlefield tested for years) and you're all changing the narrative?

Comment

Working...
                    X