Linux Mint 22 Will Use The PipeWire Sound Server, Support JPEG-XL Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
    I've been using Pipewire on Linux Mint for probably a few years now, works great.
    Same here. It's good to see that's one extra step I no longer need to do when installing Linux Mint.

Comment

I've been using Mint for about a year now and love it as a my default Os, and am eager to try out version 22 when it's released. Pipewire and JPEG-XL are just icing on the cake.

Comment

Very good news regarding JPEG XL. It's should really be the only relevant image format going forward, being strictly better than JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP and (mostly) AVIF (the latter having an advantage in some niches like very-low-quality lossy compression e.g. thumbnails).

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
          Very good news regarding JPEG XL. It's should really be the only relevant image format going forward, being strictly better than JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP and (mostly) AVIF (the latter having an advantage in some niches like very-low-quality lossy compression e.g. thumbnails).
          avif is still also good for animations, it will be jpegxl 9/10 times, only really small super high fidelity animations in JXL will beat out avif. In then end you cant beat a video codec for video.

Comment

Better being late to the party than never going to the party at all.

Comment

So happy they chose to package their own Thunderbird. Snap is crap.
              Another example of why I love the guys behind Mint.
              Last edited by unis_torvalds; 03 April 2024, 10:49 AM.

Comment

They will use anything, except a proper display server like Wayland on a modern desktop environment like KDE Plasma or Gnome!

Comment

I'm glad they're moving to the HWE kernels line.

Comment

Working...
                  X