Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rovano
    replied
    I'm glad they're moving to the HWE kernels line.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    They will use anything, except a proper display server like Wayland on a modern desktop environment like KDE Plasma or Gnome!

Leave a comment:

• unis_torvalds
    replied
    So happy they chose to package their own Thunderbird. Snap is crap.
    Another example of why I love the guys behind Mint.
    Last edited by unis_torvalds; 03 April 2024, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Better being late to the party than never going to the party at all.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
    Very good news regarding JPEG XL. It's should really be the only relevant image format going forward, being strictly better than JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP and (mostly) AVIF (the latter having an advantage in some niches like very-low-quality lossy compression e.g. thumbnails).
    avif is still also good for animations, it will be jpegxl 9/10 times, only really small super high fidelity animations in JXL will beat out avif. In then end you cant beat a video codec for video.

Leave a comment:

• Estranged1906
    replied
    Very good news regarding JPEG XL. It's should really be the only relevant image format going forward, being strictly better than JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP and (mostly) AVIF (the latter having an advantage in some niches like very-low-quality lossy compression e.g. thumbnails).

Leave a comment:

• tenplus1
    replied
    I've been using Mint for about a year now and love it as a my default Os, and am eager to try out version 22 when it's released. Pipewire and JPEG-XL are just icing on the cake.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
    I've been using Pipewire on Linux Mint for probably a few years now, works great.
    Same here. It's good to see that's one extra step I no longer need to do when installing Linux Mint.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSwordM
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the question here is, who uses jpeg xl?
    A lot of people do. That includes me. I'll get JPEG-XL into every distribution and software if it's the last thing I do.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the question here is, who uses jpeg xl?
    I use it pretty much globally. On android I use a fork of the simple mobile tools gallery (now fossify gallery) https://github.com/oupson/Jxl-Gallery but other then that, every app I use supports JXL so I convert everything to JXL on a scheduled basis​. It winds up saving a large chunk of space. I save around 30~ percent vs PNGs and transcoding jpegs saves me about 15% on them. so it adds up to a lot of you store a lot of images.

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    People who enjoy paying patent licenses. And people who are excited about saving 10% bandwidth on images (but don't watch movies)
    Is this an april fools joke?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X