Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Introduces New Marknote App

Phoronix: KDE Introduces New Marknote App

KDE developers have announced the first release of Marknote, a new note-taking application for the KDE Plasma desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How many official note taking apps KDE has? 5? 10?
    I don't understand why KDE keeps adding "new" apps instead of focusing on core issues.

Comment

Originally posted by uscracks94 View Post
      I don't understand why KDE keeps adding "new" apps instead of focusing on core issues.
      Some things are easier than others. Core issues are often extremely difficult/time consuming to fix/implement.

Comment

Open source projects don't have a top down approach. People work on whatever they find interesting and fun. You can't force volunteers to work on whatever you consider "core issues". Get over it.

Comment

Because KDE is not a single entity or group, its a collection of groups. The note taking app has nothing to do with the others. Think of KDE as a collaboration of independent developers, who use a framework. I like this freedom compared to GNOME in example. Having said this, I'm on your side that too many apps of the same type isn't the best, unless they are fundamentally different and bring something unique to the table; which I doubt for note taking applications. Under https://apps.kde.org/categories/utilities/ multiple applications for note taking. But only one of them is part of KDE Gear I think (besides the widget).

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Open source projects don't have a top down approach. People work on whatever they find interesting and fun. You can't force volunteers to work on whatever you consider "core issues". Get over it.
            GNOME left the chat.

Comment

It's weird that people on this forum don't know how open source volunteer projects work.

Comment

I get it, volunteers are free to work on anything they want. I also work on things that's interesting to me. That part is okay and I agree. But these apps being "official" in the kde apps meta package doesn't make sense to me. People can work on apps and publish them individually, why "official"?

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

GNOME left the chat.
                  No it hasn't. GNOME is an open source project without any top down entity either. Let's not convert everything into a mind numbing stupid DE flamewar.

Comment

I get it, volunteers are free to work on anything they want. I also work on things that's interesting to me. That part is okay and I agree. But these apps being "official" in the kde apps meta package doesn't make sense to me. People can work on apps and publish them individually, why "official"?
                    There is nothing "official" about it. KDE does not dictate to distributions how they should package their applications. It's just an app.

Comment

Working...
                    X