Pop!_OS Upgrades To The Linux 6.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    You mean the theme resulting from the use of libcosmic (I think) as seen in some of the preliminary screenshots? Can't say I dislike it, but personally I'd love for the colors of the "Pop" theme to stay around (i.e. what's in the stable version of Pop!_OS). I find the slightly earthy tones, leaning towards brown, very pleasing. I have crazy nostalgia for the first versions of Ubuntu for this reason lol. And the orange and cyan accents give a good contrast both in light and dark mode; in addition, they themselves are good complimentary colors. I guess we'll see how far themeability goes in COSMIC: if it's granular enough, the default theme will be a moot point.
    Their current Pop!_Shop app is already built on different technology than GNOME Software, I think, but unfortunately I must admit it's still the weakest point of the DE. As part of treating the base system as an immutable one, I definitely want to upgrade it infallibly via a robust GUI going forward. Fingers crossed this is going to be a reality with the new COSMIC store. They are moving very quickly and never seem to make a false step. Definitely a space to watch with a healthy dose of optimism.
    Cheers!
    No, I was talking about the Gnome Cosmic theme aka mutilation. It forced Gnome to be stuck in the 3.x look and feel even though Gnome got much more modern with 40. And of course that came with it's own set of downsides.

Their current Pop!_Shop app is already built on different technology than GNOME Software, I think, but unfortunately I must admit it's still the weakest point of the DE.
    I know, that's exactly the reason why it's unusable. Instead of using a well written Store, they just Frankensteined the store written by seemingly just as incompetent devs. You could say that for new users coming from Windows having to learn that it's not the norm to get their apps from dubious sources and that the way they know from their smartphone actually is the industry standard, this is at least one of the most important things. But no, instead of ripping out this piece of crap - you can't uninstall it yourself as the whole Gnome-Cosmic session requires it so you'd need to uninstall that to, not that it wouldn't be a huge improvement for users - and instead defaulting to Gnome Software, they do write a new Store but that's tied to the Cosmic DE. So users unnecessarily need to suffer several more years. Really brilliant people they hire. One can only hope they go bankrupt so users need to move on to something actually usable. And they might even get themselves hardware that's not trash either. There have been various comments on terrible build quality.
    Last edited by Artim; 29 March 2024, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      Artim's been complaining for 2+ years that everything System76 develops in Rust is garbage and that we should scrap our GTK theme and ship GNOME without any patches or extensions instead of building our own desktop environment. Truly the dumbest idea of all time.
      Never said you should drop all extensions, merely the ones enforcing that disgusting dirt-old look and feel. And yes, stranding your users on a half-assed distro while wasting time and resources on stuff simply nobody needs, is truly the dumbest idea of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Don't pay attention to this tiny tiny minority of mentally ill and toxic people
        COSMIC is massively popular and everyone is super excited for it. Actually, I never saw a project that has so many people excited about while still being in alpha stage.

Unfortunately, OSes and desktop environments are a bit like game consoles. Some lame people will insult those not using the same platform as the one they choose. That will likely always happen...
        Media hype because of "its rust" doesn't translate into actual excitement. Once users actually have to deal with it - and you can bet your ass on it being all blingy but terrible broken - they'll come to their senses. At the latest when they realize that they won't be able to use their vast catalog of Gnome extensions anymore. Eventually S76 will care as little about it as they do for the rest of their distro and users will be better off with just using Gnome or Plasma. It's just S76 jumping on the long detailed train of "Gnome is bad and we can do everything better just because we use Rust". Well tough, Rust isn't a guarantee for good code, you still need competent programmers S76 so sorely lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

He's just deflecting from his own incompetence as he's literally working for S76.
          It does not matter.
          I love the new desktop environment.
          Because why not have another. (no irony)
          I love this company.

And that's why I don't want to dig into it any further, although I hope they're aware of the risks involved, but that's just the way their business is set up now.​

That's why I don't want to discuss things that people in the know know.
          It wouldn't do anyone any good.

But in the light of other events, it will still be talked about.​

Comment

Working...
          X