Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust Coreutils & Reproducible Builds Receives Funding From The Sovereign Tech Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    Those are certainly some high numbers, though I wonder what the real reasoning is behind the choices it has made. I read the coreutils one and given below, this seems like quite the generic statement to warrent such a hefty donation
    Considering the amount of security issues that have popped up, a lot of which are not possible in Rust I think its perfectly warranted and is a much better spend of tax money compared to other things.

I personally live in Germany and have zero issues with my tax money going towards OS development (including this kind)

Comment

From there website "Strengthening Digital Infrastructure and Open Source Ecosystems in the Public Interest" and sponsoring non copyleft open source projects. Well done …

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
        No wonder the German government has no money, look at how much they're throwing away. Almost 100K euros into a Rust-written coreutils replacement that no one uses, fantastic, great investment, couldn't have been spent on anything else.

Also, gotta love how they gave a million euros to GNOME instead of KDE, when KDE is literally founded in Germany, and needed the money way more since GNOME gets so much corporate development already.
        Of course there's no widespread use, it's not even finished yet. But it's getting close to pass the gnu test suite fast, and when it does I'm switching. I'm talking about uutils if that wasn't clear.
        Last edited by dlq84; 18 March 2024, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Of course there's no widespread use, it's not even finished yet. But it's getting close to pass the gnu test suite fast, and when it does I'm switching. I'm talking about uutils if that wasn't clear.
          What are your reasons for switching? I don't see any merit in replacing an perfectly matured very slow moving codebase with this. Unless you want to make modifications, publish the binary and don't want to publish your code.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Considering the amount of security issues that have popped up, a lot of which are not possible in Rust I think its perfectly warranted and is a much better spend of tax money compared to other things.

I personally live in Germany and have zero issues with my tax money going towards OS development (including this kind)
            I know security issues are a problem, Im curious to how many coreutils / busybox incurres to make it actually worth this kind of investment vs other things

Comment

Open source is a politic scam

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                Despite the fact I really dislike KDE, they should have got the money indeed rather than gnome :/
                Why oppose the two projects when both could be funded? (As a reminder, it was members of the GNOME project who submitted the application for funding...)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I know security issues are a problem, Im curious to how many coreutils / busybox incurres to make it actually worth this kind of investment vs other things
                  Thats the thing, you don't know until it hits your face. Its why zero day exploits are so valuable, and it really is the case that ~70% of these vulnerabilities are not possible in Rust (as it won't actually compile).

Given that, the most rational choice is to encourage these Rust rewrites. Private companies have also been doing this, its nothing exceptional at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

What are your reasons for switching? I don't see any merit in replacing an perfectly matured very slow moving codebase with this. Unless you want to make modifications, publish the binary and don't want to publish your code.
                    ~70% of security vulnerabilities in software are because of memory unsafe programming languages. I like the idea of reducing risk.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      Germany has plenty of money compared to other nations with similar or even bigger GDP. Its debts are only ~ 60% of its GDP
                      That makes it sound somewhat good? The fact is we have 2000000000000​ € debt, exponentially growing and no way in sight to get rid of it. But for our government it is always more important to blast money into saving banks, much too rich institutions and the military industry to keep wars afloat. Generally super corrupt politicians and rich individuals/lobbys are the main problem, as well as uncontrollable secret agencies. And of course a population that doesn't care and always elects the same criminal parties over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                      X