Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genode OS Framework In 2023 Aims For Rust Apps, Intel P / E Core Handling, Mobile OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS Framework In 2023 Aims For Rust Apps, Intel P / E Core Handling, Mobile OS

Phoronix: Genode OS Framework In 2023 Aims For Rust Apps, Intel P / E Core Handling, Mobile OS

The Genode open-source operating system framework that pursues a micro-kernel design has published their technical roadmap for the 2023 calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting how they are working on smartphone support and have even managed to port a Blink-based browser. Despite being young and unknown they're already more "modern" than, say, RISC OS or AROS. But what's still lacking is a normal desktop environment, because right now it's very confusing to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
      Interesting how they are working on smartphone support and have even managed to port a Blink-based browser. Despite being young and unknown they're already more "modern" than, say, RISC OS or AROS. But what's still lacking is a normal desktop environment, because right now it's very confusing to use.
      I have installed it (or was it just booting the live ISO?) in a VM, I believe as Sculpt OS. Could not really do much with it but got it up and running. Not sure what they are working towards, but I am sure ideas are being explored that might have some applicability with themselves or maybe even others. From time to time, I'll grab a new release and see what is going on, I'm always curious.

To clarify, by "not sure what they are working towards" I just mean that I am not learned enough nor do I understand enough exactly what they are going after. The shortcoming is on my end.
      Last edited by ehansin; 18 January 2023, 12:33 PM. Reason: Added a clarification.

Comment

I've been following them for a few years now.

it's a very interesting project.

my only complaint (that i keep hoping to see in their roadmap every year - only to get frustrated every year...) is the lack of a "decent/traditional" desktop GUI.

I would be perfectly happy with a LXQt version of it (... KDE Plasma would be gold)...

I would ditch Linux for a decent seL4 OS... if it worked nicely, naturally.

But, for now, it's only a project to "keep an eye on" (because it really is an amazing project!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
          I would be perfectly happy with a LXQt version of it (... KDE Plasma would be gold)...
          To be honest, even something super simple would suffice. Something like JWM, a simple a window manager with a task bar and start menu. Add a file manager and applets for networking, display and sound and you're pretty much there already.

Comment

Such an interesting project. Can't wait to see how it shapes out over the next few years.

Comment

To be honest, even something super simple would suffice. Something like JWM, a simple a window manager with a task bar and start menu. Add a file manager and applets for networking, display and sound and you're pretty much there already.
              Not for me. I mean: JWM is really nice and fun, but for day to day tasks, LXQt is much nicer, esp. with Wing Menu, a much better start menu plugin.

Comment

This project excites me because it has the potential to be the most secure OS because of the SEL 4 kernel, but right now it is less usable than OpenBSD. The next 10 years between genode, OpenBSD, and Redox OS will be interesting to see which of the three most secure OSes pulls ahead. Delicately hand coded C, Rust, or a mathematically verified microkernel.

Comment

Interesting how they are working on smartphone support and have even managed to port a Blink-based browser. Despite being young and unknown
                  what? it's over a decade old

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
                    what? it's over a decade old
                    AmigaOS, ArcaOS and RISC OS are from the 80s, OpenVMS and UNIX (BSD, Illumos, ...) are from the 70s, all of them are still in active development and yet none of them run on a smartphone and of all these, only a subset of Unices have a modern browser. (I know that iOS is technically a Unix too but you know what I mean)

Comment

Working...
                    X