AMD Ryzen 5 7600 / Ryzen 7 7700 / Ryzen 9 7900 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post

If you care about power, then you should get Intel 13600 or something. It was bench marked to use much less power on idle(which is what your PC does 95% of the time) than AMD, albeit the insane turbo power. Some dude benchmarked it, and it turned out 13600 saved $10 per year.
    that is for light gamers and very light users tho, my PC get pretty damn heavy use on productivity stuff and some gaming to dispel stress from time to time, i really care about low temps and low power under heavy use.

In the same sense i care more about MT reads on storage than burst seq reads because i have tons of stuffs running on background that can use decent speeds, like db, CI containers, VMs, media server, web servers, node, redis, etc. plus whatever im using on the frontend like my usual c++ projects or converting my media to AV1, etc.

I also need at least 64gb of ram, so my ZFS volumes can stretch its legs which is actually what i'm waiting to hit that 7600 or 7700 since ddr5 64gb is still kinda expensive but i'm considering an 5900 or 5950 in AM4 as well.

but yeah for very light use there are better options

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Maybe that's the reason it's called thermal design power and not average power consumption?
      May well be the reason. But what I care about are:
      * What kind of cooler/fans do I need
      * What kind of PSU do I need
      * Are my motherboard VRM-s good enough?
      * What will my power bill be.

For all these things I'd prefer to use watts, the physical units, not the "TDP watts" that I am not quite sure what they are. I also do not know how are CPU TDP watts related to cooler TDP watts... The TDP is only somewhat useful in answering these questions.

Well, there is also the problem that no motherboard specs talk about max sustained power the VRM-s can stand, but let's not go into discussing the boards in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
        Any info about temperatures? I really like the lower power draws, but am wondering if this also means a much lower temperature?
        Temperature is fan dependant. Putting a strong AIO water cooler to all CPUs doesn't make sense for those that sell together with stock cooler as the reading will not be realistic. Putting a stock cooler to those with it but AIO water cooler to those aren't ruin any meaningful comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by otoomet View Post
          May well be the reason. But what I care about are:
          * What kind of cooler/fans do I need
          That's exactly what the TDP is for. You can't "calculate" the cooling solution with just the raw watts. If your CPU (with 150W power consumption) is designed to run at 40 °C and your room has 20 °C you would need a much bigger cooler than you would need if the CPU is designed to run at 90 °C.
          * What kind of PSU do I need
          * Are my motherboard VRM-s good enough?
          That's peak power consumption, but as long as you don't overclock, your VRMs are good enough for all supported CPUs.
          * What will my power bill be.
          That's average power consumption. Sadly those values are mostly not given by the manufracturer, good thing we have phoronix.

Comment

Everything is inside the CPU so you "shouldn't" be able to do mitm attacks. We knew that already. I still don't get it, could you be a little less vague?
            Oh dear, did Spectre and Meltdown pass you by ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Oh dear, did Spectre and Meltdown pass you by ?
              Couldn't you have told me from the start that you're not here to disscuss anything? You said something about "xbox had it first, go figure" and even after 3 times me asking for clarification you just spit out more disjointed and vague buzzwords.

Comment

Couldn't you have told me from the start that you're not here to disscuss anything? You said something about "xbox had it first, go figure" and even after 3 times me asking for clarification you just spit out more disjointed and vague buzzwords.
                And you are looking for.........

Have a nice day

Goodbye

Comment

Too funny, everyone is so obsessed with the OC ability. There is a bug in the Ryzen 6000 series where the chiplet supporting Core 0 undervolts by .01 when it goes into its low power state and causes hangs in Linux. The lp state is now so close to the off-state, a fabrication variance (not caught in the bin sort) or a VRM that can't discriminate voltage that closely will cause the system to hang. Asus & Lenovo have been trying to resolve this for over 6 months. A Fedora dev has made the most progress to date by forcing the lp state floor up.

So while we sweat the OC world, it seems AMD is pushing the limits in the low power one as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X