Red Hat Planning A Hackfest To Further Advance HDR Support On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
    This is great! While i really don't believe that 2023 will be the year of Linux Desktop, there will be a lot of steps for it. i'd like to thank all those companies/people for making Linux greater day by day!
    I am going to avoid the other posts that are more "political" and just reply to this one, as fits what I was thinking about earlier. I want badly a good and solid Linux-based desktop (yes, I know, they do exist!) In regards to the current big desktop operating system players, Apple (macOS) has a walled garden (and I don't really like a lot of how it does window management, etc.), Google (ChromeOS) has a business model based on advertising and therefore getting to "know" who you are (privacy, please!), and Microsoft (Windows) keeps adding more telemetry stuff and "live" tiles for things like news, and sports, and whatever, that are just a big distraction (leave me alone, I've got work to do!)

I am seeing a lot of pieces come together in the Linux space. One of Linux's greatest strengths can also be a weakness - too much variability and choice, though I ultimately think it is good in that it creates innovation and give people options. In regards to pieces, things are getting more solid (think PipeWire for the sound and A/V "layer".) If some of the components stand out, they can be the standard across most desktops. The variability then can be more on the UI side, with also a solid and more consistent core. Something like that. And as new and better versions of the various layers/components evolve, then they can be swapped in.

Anyway, computers are not going away (even though we should all remember to get out and "touch grass" maybe a little more, as the saying goes.) I don't want to see a future locked in by business interests in keeping one trapped with their vision of computing and serving the financial benefits. So yeah, let's see this ball continue to roll in the Linux desktop space, and give people some nice options to escape the above and take charge of their own computing experience! I keep seeing improvements for sure.

Comment

Seriously, I despise RedHat IBM mafia. It's okay they manage some good stuff. But they do too many toxic stuff. I consider GNOME a cancer.

I hope the non-GNOME/RH/IBM Linux world join forces to make Linux move forward.
      Last edited by timofonic; 04 January 2023, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

I am going to avoid the other posts that are more "political" and just reply to this one, as fits what I was thinking about earlier. I want badly a good and solid Linux-based desktop (yes, I know, they do exist!) In regards to the current big desktop operating system players, Apple (macOS) has a walled garden (and I don't really like a lot of how it does window management, etc.), Google (ChromeOS) has a business model based on advertising and therefore getting to "know" who you are (privacy, please!), and Microsoft (Windows) keeps adding more telemetry stuff and "live" tiles for things like news, and sports, and whatever, that are just a big distraction (leave me alone, I've got work to do!)

I am seeing a lot of pieces come together in the Linux space. One of Linux's greatest strengths can also be a weakness - too much variability and choice, though I ultimately think it is good in that it creates innovation and give people options. In regards to pieces, things are getting more solid (think PipeWire for the sound and A/V "layer".) If some of the components stand out, they can be the standard across most desktops. The variability then can be more on the UI side, with also a solid and more consistent core. Something like that. And as new and better versions of the various layers/components evolve, then they can be swapped in.

Anyway, computers are not going away (even though we should all remember to get out and "touch grass" maybe a little more, as the saying goes.) I don't want to see a future locked in by business interests in keeping one trapped with their vision of computing and serving the financial benefits. So yeah, let's see this ball continue to roll in the Linux desktop space, and give people some nice options to escape the above and take charge of their own computing experience! I keep seeing improvements for sure.
        Sadly what Linux as a whole needs is some sort of MDM / Group Policy setup. As much as it hurts to say so, so many corporations won't allow their employees to use it until their IT department can control/audit things.

No reason to get political, some people for whatever reasons like what they like, the annoying thing is when they decide that you should also like what they like, or you are scum.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I get the feeling that the Linux desktop would be more advanced if Red Had would not be so obsessed with Gnome only and not caring at all about other desktop environments.
          Interesting how everyone is invited at this event, except for the KDE developers.
          Yup, you didn't read the article did you? It says
          well as associated open-source graphics driver infrastructure.
          ​​​​​​I can imagine the effort would be spread thin if your feeling were a case, there won't be anyone pioneering anything. Like yesterday's article about valve hdr leads today's redhat article. You are just jealous, cope, need to touch some grass.

Comment

I dont get the gnome hate. Its a fine wm. But well eye beholder and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              Sadly what Linux as a whole needs is some sort of MDM / Group Policy setup. As much as it hurts to say so, so many corporations won't allow their employees to use it until their IT department can control/audit things.

No reason to get political, some people for whatever reasons like what they like, the annoying thing is when they decide that you should also like what they like, or you are scum.
              That already exists in many forms, both corporations I've worked for (Google and AWS) have internal distros that employees are free to use.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

My "political" comment on posts may have been a little passive-aggressive, but was more meant to direct attention to the basic concept. I do get that there are a lot of feelings and opinions involved in this space, and a big part of Linux and open-source/free-software is choice. So I get that. That said, one a real basic level, I think there are a lot of pieces evolving that are making the Linux desktop a more attractive option. Maybe not fast enough, but I feel it is happening. In regards to larger deployments, you are right in regards to needing some options for centralized management. I don't know enough to know what might already be out there, but big companies and institutions rely on this sort of thing.

I'm not a coder (do dabble in some web-based stuff, but not desktop or core OS kinds of things), so I cannot really help out there. But I am starting to see there are other ways I can get involved to help the larger effort. I actually know a fair amount and getting my own stuff in order, so starting think about this more, how I might get involved. As already mentioned, getting tired of the options out there right now and what is compromised by them.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  I dont get the gnome hate. Its a fine wm. But well eye beholder and so on...
                  Because GNOME is an anti-desktop. Besides, it doesn't only affect DE itself, but also GTK (GTK 4 is sh*t, literally) and even Wayland, which is GNOME-oriented.

While I don't really care about Wayland, I do care about GTK, because there are a lot of GTK3 applications. Some applications are still left on GTK2. Probably forever.
                  Take Qt, for example, with its almost perfect portability between major versions, porting all applications can take years. And in the case of GTK, where each version of the framework is completely incompatible with the previous one, no one will want to rewrite the application. Just as writing in GTK is risky with its constant compatibility breakages, theme compatibility changes, and so on.

At the time of GTK2, I had hopes that GTK would compete with Qt and improve its cross-platform support (and fix the goddamn file picker on Windows). As it turned out, GTK is being developed by complete morons who have absolutely no understanding of GUI programming patterns. Like Wayland, which also turned out to be an architectural failure.

Apparently, of all the adequate developers, it seems only the developers of Pipewire are left. :P

P.S.
                  GNOME2 was almost flawless, and then GNOME3.... What the hell happened?
                  Last edited by Monsterovich; 04 January 2023, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I get the feeling that the Linux desktop would be more advanced if Red Had would not be so obsessed with Gnome only and not caring at all about other desktop environments.
                    LOL. You think that because "Red Had" ( wtf ) exists ,it is obliged to contribute to multiple desktops, because you don't like the one they've chosen to focus on. Can you imagine all the anti-gnome trolls on their systemd-free OSs contributing to gtk? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

nothing screams "year of the linux desktop" like a bunch of fanb^H^H^H^Hproponents of the One and Only Proper Solution(tm) fighting each other over who's solution is actually the proper one (hint: none), while the rest of the world races past them, shaking their heads in disbelief... or rather it would be, if it weren't so damn far ahead already.
                      Calling others fanb^H^H^H^Hproponents while trolling. I assume you don't even realise what you're doing?

Comment

Working...
                      X