Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edubuntu Looks To Re-Establish Itself In 2023

Phoronix: Edubuntu Looks To Re-Establish Itself In 2023

One of the early alternative spins of Ubuntu back in the day was Edubuntu as an education-focused flavor of Ubuntu shipping with various educational packages pre-installed and an optimized workflow for students. Edubuntu gradually faded away but in 2023 is looking to re-establish itself and become an official flavor under new leadership...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they should pick a UI that looks more like Chromebooks or an IPAD that students actually use in school in recent years and not gnome, just a thought. But anyways, kudos to the team and wish them all the best exposing students to an OS like Linux at a young age is a good thing in my opinion!

Comment

I think the name is a terrible foundation to build on.

I also think the value in creating a education oriented Ubuntu would have the most value in repurposing old machines and also selling new machines on the basis of No Monthly Costs. Pay Once. Own Forever.

I am glad that the other distributions don't have the Ubuntu naming schema.

Edudora

Debiastudio

GNunistallmanOS

Comment

Another solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          Maybe they should pick a UI that looks more like Chromebooks or an IPAD that students actually use in school in recent years and not gnome, just a thought. But anyways, kudos to the team and wish them all the best exposing students to an OS like Linux at a young age is a good thing in my opinion!
          Doesn't default GNOME3 look exactly like that, though? That's one of it's biggest criticisms.
          I hope you're not referring to the screenshot, that's an ancient screenshot of Ubuntu when it still used GNOME2.

Comment

I think it would've been better with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              For an iPad-like experience, there's Cutefish: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Cutefish

Comment

No to emulating what other OS's do. Why? Kids are surprisingly flexible and adaptable, if they're not autistic and get upset at change (so a PC is the least of their worries). Flexibility was part and parcel of our upbringing in the 80's; the sheer number of options was astounding. DOS's galore, GUI's from Apple and Amiga (damn, that 3D), the list goes on.

Nothing worse than hearing from a narrow minded old fart "oh, I only know Window's". They never do, and Windows changes its colours every release anyways.

Also, didn't Edubuntu have LTSP/thin client provisioning?
                Hi

Comment

All I can think of is this https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2022/...-distribution/

Wouldn’t choosing a set of packages to install in the ubuntu installer be better?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    Also, didn't Edubuntu have LTSP/thin client provisioning?
                    That's what I thought.

I wrote some notes on integrating ZFS with LTSP so that users get snapshots of their home dirs.

Comment

Working...
                    X