No announcement yet.

Running The New Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Support In Linux 6.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The New Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Support In Linux 6.2

Phoronix: Running The New Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Support In Linux 6.2

While NVIDIA is already out with multiple GeForce RTX 40 series products, coming only now with the Linux 6.2 kernel is initial open-source 3D acceleration support for the GeForce RTX 30 "Ampere" graphics processors. Here is my initial experience with this open-source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series support in Linux 6.2.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Espionage724
    Can't reclocking be solved by extracting the firmware from proprietary drivers? Probably not legal, but I've heard this hinted at in the past.
    Reclocking requires a lot more than just firmware.

Comment

Seems suspiciously slow even if stuck at low-power clocks. Granted, I don't know how low it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Seems suspiciously slow even if stuck at low-power clocks. Granted, I don't know how low it gets.
        Low enough to run an accelerated desktop and browser without the fans turning on. I want to say my 1060 of yore ran at something like 200 MHz. Combined with nouveau getting 60-80% the speed of proprietary when on a reclockable card, I'd say the results are fairly expected.

Comment

Can't reclocking be solved by extracting the firmware from proprietary drivers? Probably not legal, but I've heard this hinted at in the past.
          Reclocking can be solved by using NVIDIA's open source kernel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Reclocking can be solved by using NVIDIA's open source kernel driver.
            Yes i'm curious how that one actually performs, nouveau performing like utter crap surprises absolutely nobody anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Yes i'm curious how that one actually performs, nouveau performing like utter crap surprises absolutely nobody anymore.
              Michael has already tested the "open source" nvidia driver and found no difference in performance.

I put it in quotes because there's a 30MB blob, a whole RISC operation system within, without which your GPU will not work. This is just ugly.

NVIDIA has managed to create sort of closed source GPUs.

Comment

As far I know there is some possibility of doing that but that would require doing not very legal things so Nouveau developers don't want to do it as they want their work to be without any legal issues.

Topic: I guess nothing really surprising here. I can't wait to get results after they will do that GSP work. Probably it won't be initially as good as proprietary driver but it should be way better than currently is as there will be finally possibility of reclocking.

Comment

The GTX 600 generation is already very old in the meantime. You can still see for this old generation of GPUs that the proprietary drivers are a lot faster than nouveau.

We're only going to see good open source drivers if Nvidia discontinues its proprietary drivers. Please have no illusions about that.​

Comment

Nouveau driver is good for basic display, no more than that. I am happily using it with ancient, passively cooled Nvidia card in my home server. I must have some GPU in case I need to operate server via mouse and keyboard sometimes. This one has got HDMI, DVI and VGA ports. Everything I need.
                    But still, every 6 to 12 months server needs to be restarted because nouveau driver crashes
                    Hopefully, with more work being thrown at nouveau driver, it will be more stable and faster for this and other cards.

Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nouveau v: kernel

Comment

Working...
                    X