Parallel x86_64 CPU Bringup Linux Patches Revised For Quicker Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schestowitz View Post
    The bigger problem with the pi, this Microsoft thing inside the chip aside, was the addition of packages.microsoft.com (proprietary software), without consent, to all raspi OS devices one year ago (end of January)
    I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm curious, does that only affect the Windows IoT OS for that package?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      You must be a lot older than me, and I'm not young.
      Perhaps "Senior Member" means over 65? [tongue in cheek]

I first heard "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" from the Kingston Trio. But a quick look on Wikipedia says that Pete Seeger wrote the melody and first three verses in 1955, inspired by a traditional Cossack folk song "Koloda-Duda".

Comment

I'll give another few hours for response, seeing my posts did get approved, so they're being read. I'll draw my own conclusions if no response is posted soon.
        I think given that the plastic trays clearly don't fit into those cases properly, you can safely assume that there are only the 7 processors you can see there...

Comment

Sorry about the latter message, posted in the wrong thread by accident, but I still need a reply to my first query. I've linked to Phoronix literally tens of thousands of times and defended it a lot from its critics. I need to see the AMD contract by which this transaction was done, dated too (to avoid it being revised in a face-saving exercise).
          Wow, that's a lot.

First, what's your point and why do you feel he owes you some sort of answer?

Second, for benchmarking of different EPYC processors, he needs to have the different CPU models to swap into his server. So, he's going to have more than 2 on-hand.

Third, you don't know if he owns them, or if they're on loan, etc.

Fourth, you seem to presume it's EPYCs all the way down, but it could be his entire CPU collection, for all we know.

Finally, if you want a response from Michael, your best bet is to tag him in your post. It's no guarantee, but he's unlikely to see the message otherwise. I don't know why you seem to think he personally reads & approves all forum posts, but he definitely doesn't.
          Last edited by coder; 06 February 2022, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm curious, does that only affect the Windows IoT OS for that package?
            I think it happened when Microsoft offered VS Code on the Pi. At least, that's what I seem to recall somebody stating, the last time this came up.

Comment

What is going on here? Michael, those chips cost a furture and are not needed in these quantities for the purpose of testing/comparing. Who sent these? Please clarify.
              schestowitz next time in the forums when trying to get my attention, please Michael me where it actually notifies me via email that someone tagged me in a post... I don't keep up with every single post in the forums given the quantity/frequency of posts so rely on being tagged and community flags/reports for bad/off-topic/inappropriate posts.Tilde also does community moderation. Only saw you trying to get my attention now that you tagged me on Twitter.

The CPUs tested at Phoronix are review samples (aside from the desktop CPUs I sometimes buy such as the recent Alder Lake Celeron, etc). In the picture are several years worth of tested CPUs. Keep in mind with server CPUs are usually tested in 2P (two processor) configurations and in the picture you bring up some of the trays can have just one or two processors on them depending upon how they get shipped out and some of them are now multi-generations old. Or could have emailed me as I believe we have communicated via email long ago.

I also have trays of Intel CPUs. The situation is no different from all the Windows reviewers out there and other review sites in general. For CPUs not needing to be returned after initial hardware reviews, they are kept around and used when re-testing for future CPU reviews [unlike some review sites given the constantly advancing open-source software, I always re-test comparison hardware in future articles to be using the latest kernel etc] and all the other tests I do like Linux kernel version comparisons, distro comparisons, compiler comparisons, and other benchmark articles over the months/years to come... The rest of the time are sitting there waiting for the next time to be benchmarked - or in this case, serving as pictures for article images. It's not that they are being sold or anything. Heck I still got ~15 year old CPUs around and just the other day was starting on some 10 year Ubuntu LTS performance comparisons thanks to having such old hardware around.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X