No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 6800 Series Performance Comes Out Even Faster With Newest Linux Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is so cool Given that this will soon the out-of-the-box experience there should be less and less reasons why users of free operating systems should bother with NVidia, which would be such a relieve for developers. I really hope AMDs upcoming APUs show similar gains.

Comment

Mesa-Devs: "Alright guys, I haven't even had my first coffee, still sit in my bed and just by feeding the cat so that it stops the cry of the banshee, we already pushed close to parity to the 3080" ... *cracks fingers* "Now let me show you what I can do when I'm awake. You want to see how we preserve the 50% performance lead on 1080p to 4k that Windows drivers couldn't? Watch this!"

"Oh, and if you are waiting on the 6900XT, I may have a sm0l surprise for you. I hope you have been nice this year, cause Santa is red for a reason!"

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
        Enfant terrible birdie is brainstorming how to twist this story....... Looking forward to the outcome.
        I know right but please don't provoke a flamewar...
        Last edited by tildearrow; 23 November 2020, 04:09 PM. Reason: oh no sorry

Comment

The title is too cheerful.

In fact, only the 6800 received an increase (and then, most likely, due to a critical flaw), and the 6800 XT received an increase in two crooked ports that are already tied to Mesa.
          Extensive testing of Windows vs Linux + AMDVLK is required.

Comment

Very nice to see an AMD card with an open stack finally going head to head with nvidia after all these years. The last time AMD was competitive at the top end was the 7970, so that's, what, about 9 years ago now?

That the new cards are doing so on Mesa hopefully puts another nail in the whole "Oh, we can't even release any specs etc at all, because our design/code is so magical and clever that the enemy will steal it if we do!". That's something that potentially helps the driver ecosystem for all devices, now that AMD can be held up as a high-profile concrete rebuttal of that premise.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              Wow this is so cool Given that this will soon the out-of-the-box experience there should be less and less reasons why users of free operating systems should bother with NVidia, which would be such a relieve for developers. I really hope AMDs upcoming APUs show similar gains.
              The out-of-the-box experience is not good right now, it looks much better than it was 5700XT, but the experience wont be good until Ubuntu 21.04 or w/e your favorite distro is around that time.

Good opensource AMD support comes after 6 months to a year. NVIDIA support, although proprietary is good day 1. AMD's propriety drivers broke after an update a month with my 5700XT and aren't as fast as open source or Windows. Video card generally prices don't drop until the next generation comes out. Say both cards cost $500 and they are replaced in 3 years after launch. If you buy NVIDIA, you are paying $14 a month for your card. If you buy AMD, you are paying $17 to $20 a month for the card. If I am playing a new game and want an upgrade, I can buy whatever Nvidia card and it works good. If I buy an AMD card, I need to buy one that is 6 months to a year old. If you stick to LTS type distros, do 4K gaming, and buy high end cards every 3 years, then Nvidia has merit. If you do 1080p gaming, don't mind updating your distro frequently, and buy mid range every 2 years, then AMD clearly is better.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post

The out-of-the-box experience is not good right now, it looks much better than it was 5700XT, but the experience wont be good until Ubuntu 21.04 or w/e your favorite distro is around that time.
                There's a chance it will be very good with Fedora 33 thanks to its release model. Ps. Results are impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Oh Yeah!! Kick ass and take names Mesa! When there's an actual community around an open source project, nothing can beat OSS!

(The reason why amdvlk and rocm are doomed, radv and clover ftw)
                  ROCm is completely open source... clover doesn't even come close to matching ROCm at anything in any aspect.

Comment

This is pretty embarrassing for Nvidia's 3080 considering the price difference and power consumption

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

ROCm is completely open source... clover doesn't even come close to matching ROCm at anything in any aspect.
                      Clover has one thing ROCm will never have... An upstream community...

Comment

Working...
                      X