Systemd 246 Released With Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frank007
    It's time for me to pass to a non-systemd next time I change distro. Systemd become more and more dangerous.
    Some runit and bsd/busybox based distro instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Coming from Microsoft I assume the exposing stuff is by default and you have to opt-out if they let you.
      Thank you very much Microsoft and systemd developers for this garbage!
      I wonder when systemd will have a guideline like users' privacy and security first, not making money for corporations first.
      Isn't it possible to maintain a different variant of package? E.g. systemd-secure, which will opt out all nefarious features on the build time?

Comment

I'm not able to say if systemd is adding good or bad features, but i'm convinced it is a great tool for sysadmins and big infrastructures.
        However, I'm less convinced that it has a place on my host. I have too little started and connected daemons and scripts to need this kind of big piece of software(s).
        But until I find a distribution that fits my needs like ArchLinux does, I'm stuck without choice (and I fully understand ArchLinux maintainers decision to stay with this init system, and hope someday they will be able to make something to be able to switch to another init system easily).
        Last edited by guildem; 31 July 2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Exciting stuff, especially as it relates to systemd-networkd. Anyone know of interesting projects taking advantage of systemd-nspawn?

Comment

Originally posted by guildem View Post
            However, I'm less convinced that it has a place on my host. I have too little started and connected daemons and scripts to need this kind of big piece of software(s).
            But until I find a distribution that fits my needs like ArchLinux does, I'm stuck without choice (and I fully understand ArchLinux maintainers decision to stay with this init system, and hope someday they will be able to make something to be able to switch to another init system easily).
            Devuan provides support for several Init systems,
            iirc OpenRC, Runit, SysVInit

ArchLinux, I believe, they only provide systemd..

Comment

Originally posted by nsklaus View Post
              "Systemd 246 is out today as the newest version of this dominant Linux init system.."

"dominant" --> anti-linux-like hydra monster spreading like a virus, tying itself onto system components like a python is constricting its prey, removing the freedom of choice from the user and thus denaturing linux from its base philosophy.

there, i've fixed it for you.
              As usual, complete non-sense from the anti systemd crowd. Not sure why so clueless individuals feel such a strong need to have an opinion on something they don't know anything about.

Comment

Originally posted by guildem View Post
                I'm not able to say if systemd is adding good or bad features, but i'm convinced it is a great tool for sysadmins and big infrastructures.
                You should take a look at Artix ( https://artixlinux.org/ )
                It's arch, without le systemd (You can choose installation ISO with OpenRC or Runit or R6). That distribution is well supported.
                That way you canb continue to use "Arch" but have choice of proper init.

tuxd3v
                guildem
                Last edited by RavFX; 31 July 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
                  It's time for me to pass to a non-systemd next time I change distro. Systemd become more and more dangerous.
                  It's not the first time you said something like this. We are waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Coming from Microsoft I assume the exposing stuff is by default and you have to opt-out if they let you.
                    Thank you very much Microsoft and systemd developers for this garbage!
                    I wonder when systemd will have a guideline like users' privacy and security first, not making money for corporations first.
                    1. it's not exposing user information nor violating their privacy
                    2. it's stuff that was more or less available already but required the container to run scripts to poke around which is much more fragile (also see the link below)
                    3. it's currently always on, mimicking the behaviour of the older ways (that also was always available) but the contributor said that he will send a new patch to add controls to disable or override it https://github.com/systemd/systemd/p...ment-660631387

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Isn't it possible to maintain a different variant of package? E.g. systemd-secure, which will opt out all nefarious features on the build time?
                      It's opensource, you can hack away and remove this whole function if you want. The point is that only nutjobs want that, since the information is still available through the older (more frail) method this standardized interface replaces, see also my post above this.

Comment

Working...
                      X