Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Work On KDE Frameworks 6 Continues

Phoronix: Early Work On KDE Frameworks 6 Continues

Several months have passed since there was any news to report on KDE Frameworks 6 but the coronavirus pandemic as well as Qt uncertainties have not caused KF6 development to slow down for this next-generation set of KDE add-on libraries complementing Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should abandon the sinking ship/t and rewrite their code in Flutter. KDE Fluffworks 6 and Fluffma 6 desktop.

Comment

It is so sad to see there are still people ready to build on top of this sold under a greedy proprietary license sold toolkit when there are better and actually FLOSS alternatives around.

I am completely unable to take the KDE community serious that supposedly takes software freedom so "serious" while keeping itself fully depended on that company that treats them like the worst since 1996.

Especially today were so many great, better and actually floss toolkits around.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        so many great, better and actually floss toolkits around.
        Like what?

Comment

Such as? </troll_feeding>

Comment

It is so sad to see there are still people ready to build on top of this sold under a greedy proprietary license sold toolkit when there are better and actually FLOSS alternatives around.

I am completely unable to take the KDE community serious that supposedly takes software freedom so "serious" while keeping itself fully depended on that company that treats them like the worst since 1996.

Ask yourself why developers around the world massively prefer Qt over Gtk.
            I mean, just look at github: there are 68k Qt repos and 11k Gtk ones. Respectively with 5k users and 500.
            Maybe you should reconsider your definition of better...

PS: Let me remind you that for free software users Qt is GPLv3 and LGPLv3. Now you can yammer about the CLA or whatever you want.

Comment

Weren't you defending and saying you love the KDE 3.x abandon-ware Trinity project?

As far as proprietary software - QT is licenesed under the GPLv3, so what exactly are you rambling on about ?

Comment

I am sure people will move to something more libre than qt if there was an alternative that did not sacrifice functionality/stability.

Qt3 and earlier lacked serious features. IMO Qt4 and later has been a good choice if you value features and proper functional cross-platform software.

On topic: It will be a sad day when KHTML is removed. I completely understand why, just nostalgia/pride hit. The only thing I can say: Don't rush KDE Frameworks 6.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  First step to True Freedom is saying no any further license shenanigans.
                  The KDE/Qt agreement is very clear. Stick to cheerleading in GNOME threads and stay out of KDE ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

The KDE/Qt agreement is very clear. Stick to cheerleading in GNOME threads and stay out of KDE ones.
                    Yes.

Also, one of the main reason the CLA is needed is due to the agreement with the Free-Qt Foundation, that says that if Qt is ever closed sourced, or stops being maintained, the last released versions becomes available under a BSD license. It wouldn't be possible to do that re-licensing without the CLA.

-- From what Carewolf wrote in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...873#post945873

Comment

Working...
                    X