X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xpander
    replied
    Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

I've been using disable c-state to prevent random reboot's on my Ryzen 7 1700, I presume we are all experiencing the same issue on Ryzen. It's not ideal long term if we are losing a low power saving mode however.
    it still goes down to 0.9V and 1.9ghz (1.9ghz to 2.2 ghz in ondemand mode), so i dont think we loose much. C6 state is something else i guess, for boost state or similar

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Originally posted by xpander View Post
    i was wondering why my screens went black, but the computer was on and couldnt connect to ssh either. that explains. i disablec C6 from bios, seems fine so far. i dont use those boost clocks anyway since i have OC on my cpu. This happened rarely though i even had 6 days uptime, but sometimes i got black screen right after 20 minutes of reboot or similar.
    I've been using disable c-state to prevent random reboot's on my Ryzen 7 1700, I presume we are all experiencing the same issue on Ryzen. It's not ideal long term if we are losing a low power saving mode however.

Leave a comment:

• xpander
    replied
    i was wondering why my screens went black, but the computer was on and couldnt connect to ssh either. that explains. i disablec C6 from bios, seems fine so far. i dont use those boost clocks anyway since i have OC on my cpu. This happened rarely though i even had 6 days uptime, but sometimes i got black screen right after 20 minutes of reboot or similar.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    I'm affected as well by random crashes, sometimes directly after boot. Thought it must be an issue with my AMD GPU, but didn't have the time to figure out what was going wrong. Good to know I'm not the only one! And hope this will be fixed soon, this bug is really bad for Ryzen and Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Hence mainline kernel daily builds (.deb) now include it, right?

After installing it, it very well seems like it. Now waiting for rc1. Hopefully the suspend/resume issue will be solved by the last rc.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Yes, as I said in the bug report, let's please stop with the stupid baseless FUD. I discovered the RCU_NOCB_CPU workaround myself after a lot of trial and error but didn't exactly shout about it from the rooftops so it's highly unlikely whoever removed the kernel option even knew about the issue.

Leave a comment:

• lucrus
    replied
    I've read through all the kernel bug #196683 comments, and finally commenters think it's neither one (Intel/IBM), but they feel like it's a Ryzen CPU bug. However they're stuck at finding a way to contact the right AMD person to report the problem, and AMD hasn't commented on that bug as of today.

I do not own any Ryzen and I don't work for AMD, so there isn't much I can do to help here, except asking bridgman to have a look, maybe he knows how get in touch with the AMD CPU team.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Did anyone escalate the matter to Linus?

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by Iperpido View Post
    Ryzen and R9 fury user here. waiting for it
    The same here.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    It crash on 4.13+ thanks to Intel
    He's actually a IBM asset,

The last month or two has seen a lot of work simplifying the Linux-kernel RCU implementation, with more than 2700 net lines of code removed. The remainder of this post lists the user-visible changes, along with alternative ways to get the corresponding job done. The infamous CONFIG_RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO…

..and I do (ab)use rcu_nocbs=0-11 on my R5 1600X's. It took me a while to figure it out, I initially solved it by simply sticking with 4.12 after trying 4.13. This one is pretty serious, to me 4.12 to 4.13 was going from "works" to "hangs right after boot". It's a big deal, specially on headless boxes.

It's a total scandal, specially because nobody seems interested in fixing it which results in - as you helpfully point out - that a boot parameter is required for these CPUs to work properly. That's not exactly good. Nobody from AMD has commented or acknowledged this problem and I'm guessing they won't until some Ubuntu LTS release updates to a 4.13+ kernel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X