Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    Don't need a new Steam Machine.
    Need a normal and working user interface. Desktop. Preferably with brand DE.

Users don't want Linux not because it is "bad hardware or it works in itself is badly", but because there is a bad software at all levels, IMHO. From the drivers to DE.
    Linux is now better, but users also need stability.
    What could be more unstable than Windows 10, where the Creator's and Anniversary updates have caused countless problems?

And what could be worse than paying AppleCare significant sums to tell you that "you're doing it wrong"?

All systems have bad software, and even dangerous software, from the drivers to the DE. Some just have larger marketing budgets, and some rely on word-of-mouth.

Comment

The sad thing is, I know a lot of people using Linux for almost everything else but they all still use Windows for gaming. So I think the important question is, if not even the Linux users play on Linux, how can this ever take off? I guess the only way left is hidden behind a game console with steam.

Comment

I got tired of dealing with video drivers causing Xserver to hardlock and freeze my system on a nearly daily basis when gaming and doing other things. Furthermore, alot of native Linux ports have issues, run slower FPS, and/or buggy (such as Ark Survival).

It seems like a better way to game is on Windows but since Windows kinda sucks, replace it's entire shell with a seamless full-screen Linux desktop environment and launch & run Windows apps & games in a "Linuxy" environment at the full-speed and full compatibility of Windows, unlike using Wine.

My software / scripts + installer:
        https://github.com/XaeroVincent/vmscripts

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 02 October 2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Linux is used on the desktop in many large institutions and government offices which of course will never install Steam.
          Moreover, I use Linux for everything, I don't work in a large institution or government office, but I'm not a gamer and I don't need Steam. And I suspect I'm not alone.

Comment

While netmarketshare was indeed initially inflated, michaels narrow mind didnt even think of any other details and thats quite sad.

Linux is rather big in some places, just not gaming. Steam and netmarketshare poll completely different areas of use.

Comment

Michael, I would be very very hesitant to declare Steam's numbers as "the facts" and others as "inflated". There's been huge question marks over just how the Steam Survey is conducted since it was started and it's rather obvious that they're not doing things in the manner that would give the most accurate results resulting in thing like windows 10 results swinging by 17% in one case before jumping back.

Also Netmarketshare measures different things than Steam does, which is more accurate for what it measures than the bizarre sampling that Steam chooses to perform. Which is internet browsing vs gamers. I can guarantee you that quite a few of those Linux machines are for example surfing stack overflow from work, and aren't going to have Steam on them, because they are dev machines and company policies will... discourage using company resources for gaming.

Comment

Very disappointing trend indeed.

I guess the most people don't really care, which OS is the "backend" for their games. Most the people are influenced by their friends that play the newest cool stuff (like PUBG at the moment) and they want to participate. When they realize, its not possible to play that games on their platform (no matter if it's a Steam Machine or the PC given by dad), they rate the whole thing as crap and try to find a way past the obstacles.

I'm not going back to Windows dual-boot just for games, too much headaches with updates and stuff. Let's just hope, that devs and publishers continue to support other operating systems by using multi-platform technologies like Vulkan. Unfortunately at the moment, my hopes are decreasing significantly..

Comment

I've stuck with playing Linux titles exclusively for the past few months and I'm not missing much: Age of Wonders III, Civilization V, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Civilization VI, Tomb Raider, Cities Skylines and Shadow of Mordor are a selection of AAA games that I like to play on Linux. That's good enough for me for the moment.
                  Other games that I enjoy on Linux are: Plague Inc: Evolved, Life is Short, Trine (series), Among the Sleep, Windward and PAC-MAN 256.

I still miss a lot of games that are only available for Windows at the moment, I hope that issue is going to be resolved by Valve eventually, by providing an official Wine wrapper through Steam. Until then, I'll only buy Linux compatible games.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
                    While netmarketshare was indeed initially inflated, michaels narrow mind didnt even think of any other details and thats quite sad.
                    Michael's comment even seems to imply that Chrome OS should not be counted as Linux:
                    Originally posted by Phoronix
                    Though that number is still likely artificially higher due to Chrome & co.

Comment

Bogus reports or not, I don't see how declining Steam figures represent Linux market share? Or did I miss something and is every Linux user a gamer now?

Comment

Working...
                      X