Microsoft's Open-Source / Linux Announcements So Far In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
    numacross: May I ask what OS/tools you were using to create the filesystem? Any special options (like to limit the version, fix block sizes, etc.)? And do you use them with Linux, Win7/10 and current MacOS? Thanks!
    I use https://github.com/JElchison/format-udf under Linux to format drives, as already mentioned by Hi-Angel.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't recommend nor trust a filesystem I can't fsck, an external drive is exposed to abuse (and my drives do need to be checked at least monthly, maybe I'm using them like a savage though).

Linux lacks a fsck for UDF for example, the existing tool is a stub, I also looked at the source.
      Windows 10 one fails to even detect my big-ish drives so I can't use it either.

Meanwhile with NTFS I get at least metadata journaling so I don't risk to fuck up the filesystem like with FAT32, most half-decent devices can read the drive (not at decent performance but it's usually enough), and while on Linux I can't fsck it (linux NTFS fsck is basic and can't usually do any serious repair) I can fire up a Windows PE Virtual Machine (WinPE = 2GB mostly read-only windows iso image with added GUI and graphical tools, I use Sergei Strelec's Windows PE iso) where I can run a filesystem check on it even if I'm not on Windows.
      If I understood you correctly you don't recommend UDF because it lacks fsck under Linux while NTFS is in the same situation? And what is more a broken filesystem needs to be handled by a proper Windows running?

Anyway I've tested this a bit, formatted a 3TB 4Kn HDD via https://github.com/JElchison/format-udf under Debian Stretch with -b 4096 and played with it under both Windows and Linux. It worked fine under both.

What is more I broke it on purpose by yanking the power cable of the USB enclosure during transfers and made UDF fail with the 0 free space error. Data was readable but not writeable. Then I repaired it without problems with Windows 8.1's built-in tool. The data on disk was fine, apart from the last file that I broke the transfer on, as verified with 7-zip's SHA-256.

(Un)fortunately I don't have a macOS machine at home, but when I tested it a while back it worked there as well. Sadly I don't remember under which version, because I have very little opportunity to work with Apple hardware in my country.

I think that both UDF and NTFS are valid choices for this problem, but care needs to be taken with always using the safe removal of USB devices and we know how that usually goes

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        (Un)fortunately I don't have a macOS machine at home, but when I tested it a while back it worked there as well. '
        You do not actually need genuine Mac for this. Check out "Hackintosh". All you need is compatible PC.
        macOS Sonoma and OS X Ventura Hackintosh instructions, tutorials, step-by-step how to guides and installation videos; Hackintosh systems, parts and more.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          You do not actually need genuine Mac for this. Check out "Hackintosh". All you need is compatible PC.
          https://hackintosh.com/
          But that is against macOS' EULA!

Comment

Just my opinion, but the macOS UELA is against you! I think an unenforceable rule is just the same as no rule at all. We should congratulate them for helping to make that crap unenforceable.

Comment

Well, might be. Have not had chance to read it, since I haven't managed to get to trying out hackintosh.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Well, might be. Have not had chance to read it, since I haven't managed to get to trying out hackintosh.

J. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.
                Is it enforceable? Who knows... But the latest edition is verifying EFI checksums and warning if it's not what it expects... for now. Knowing the clever Clover guys it'll be emulated like the rest of Apple's EFI implementation anyway
                Last edited by numacross; 30 September 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

Sorry to everyone in advance, but there is only one possible way to answer this question:

Extend and extinquish.[/I]
                  I was going to say the same: Embrace, extend, and extinguish

Comment

Is it enforceable? Who knows... But the latest edition is verifying EFI checksums and warning if it's not what it expects... for now. Knowing the clever Clover guys it'll be emulated like the rest of Apple's EFI implementation anyway
                    EULAs aren't legal in Europe

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

EULAs aren't legal in Europe
                      Even if true (I don't know the legal status of them or if they were ever tested in court) the copyright laws and licensing agreements still apply. Apple will refuse to sell you a macOS license for usage with non-Apple hardware. If you still use it with a hackintosh you're basically stealing

Comment

Working...
                      X