Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Open-Source / Linux Announcements So Far In 2017

Phoronix: Microsoft's Open-Source / Linux Announcements So Far In 2017

We are just hitting the end of Q3, but already this calendar year Microsoft has continued their trend of the past few years of engaging with open-source and Linux in different aspects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most epic Linux-related announce has arrived from Bill Gates himself. Can you imagine Gates using Linux? No, srsly, http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/26/tech...one/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      Most epic Linux-related announce has arrived from Bill Gates himself. Can you imagine Gates using Linux? No, srsly, http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/26/tech...one/index.html
      Is this a troll?

Have you missed the last 10,000 years in IT?

Wait, no. I had my sarcasm-meter off. Woohoo! I need a beer.
      Last edited by stiiixy; 28 September 2017, 10:40 AM.
      Hi

Comment

I'm still hoping to see Edge go open source and come to macOS, Linux and Android.

Comment

What do you anticipate Microsoft will do next?

Sorry to everyone in advance, but there is only one possible way to answer this question:

Extend and extinquish.

Comment

"What do you anticipate Microsoft will do next?"

Microsoft will switch to Linux and keep selling their software on top of Linux. And it will cost the Windows users as much as before.

At the same time will the Linux community get face-stomped by hordes of Windows users, all trying to learn everything there is to learn about Linux and in record-breaking time.

Some long-time Linux supporters will switch to Microsoft in a heart beat like cold-hearted back-stabbers, while others die the slow death of the White Knight in the most epic drama the Linux community has ever seen, before the Linux community itself disappears and we will all have turned into "the new Windows user".

Once it's all done and over, and Microsoft has taken over Linux with its hordes of Windows users, will you either be the new slave of the Microsoft empire or you will have found refuge under a tiny bridge, just next to the one where all the FreeBSD trolls live, and where you'll then be telling tales of Linux's past.
            Last edited by sdack; 28 September 2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

My guess is that MS will opensource DX12 because of Vulkan. They're afraid of developers switching to Vulkan.
              It might take years to get DX12 run perfectly on Linux. Then they can update to keep Linux always a little behind.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                My guess is that MS will opensource DX12 because of Vulkan. They're afraid of developers switching to Vulkan.
                It might take years to get DX12 run perfectly on Linux. Then they can update to keep Linux always a little behind.
                Oh my god that would be great, but I HIGHLY doubt it happening

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  "What do you anticipate Microsoft will do next?"

Microsoft will switch to Linux and keep selling their software on top of Linux. And it will cost the Windows users as much as before.

At the same time will the Linux community get face-stomped by hordes of Windows users, all trying to learn everything there is to learn about Linux and in record-breaking time.

Some long-time Linux supporters will switch to Microsoft in a heart beat like cold-hearted back-stabbers, while others die the slow death of the White Knight in the most epic drama the Linux community has ever seen, before the Linux community itself disappears and we will all have turned into "the new Windows user".

Once it's all done and over, and Microsoft has taken over Linux with its hordes of Windows users, will you either be the new slave of the Microsoft empire or you will have found refuge under a tiny bridge, just next to the one where all the FreeBSD trolls live, and where you'll then be telling tales of Linux's past.
                  One of the best posts I ever read here, but it is quite close to how Microsoft might both improve Windows and nearly wipe out Linux in a single move, they just need to make new Linux based Windows with a compatibility layer that will run current Windows software and make it free, end of story. That would likely destroy MacOS as well in the long run too. What is kind of scary is that Microsoft has the money to do it.

Comment

You missed this one https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/09/...ilored-kernel/

Comment

Working...
                    X