Microsoft's Open-Source / Linux Announcements So Far In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Supported in the sense that Windows fails to run it on 1+TB drives and filesystem checker tools for it suck?
    My response was directed at "Finding a filesystem for your USB drive" and having one that's over 1TB in size is quite rare. I haven't had any problems running it on multiple devices yet, but that's just anecdotal evidence based on my experience.

Comment

numacross: May I ask what OS/tools you were using to create the filesystem? Any special options (like to limit the version, fix block sizes, etc.)? And do you use them with Linux, Win7/10 and current MacOS? Thanks!

Comment

Uhm, would you mind sharing what distros you tried? I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find a distro with a UI of your liking, unless you were specifically looking for a 100% windows UI clone and could not settle for 90% windows UI clones like some distros I know.

Also I'm not sure what Wayland and Pipewire have anything to do with user interfaces.
        Sorry, first off I tend to make comments like these to sort of make "devli's advocate" kind of arguments. I really do want to see the Linux desktop succeed. My distro of choice right now is Arch as I like that I can sort of build it to my liking. In regards to Wayland and PipeWire, my point is that core pieces that "sit at a lower layer" are being built out, and a solid desktop needs this "core infrastructure." I do think there are a lot of ways that the desktops could improve from an aesthetic and design perspective, that is my take at least. But as long as core pieces are being built out that create that "solid core", then I see lots of opportunities. I've been kind of getting into tiling managers like i3 and Sway, but sort of envision a simple shell that goes beyond say i3 or Sway, but simpler than more desktops. With nice clean design, good window management, clean fonts, etc. We will get there, and I'm for it. But I do think sometimes people start tooting their horns in regards to various desktops, and I've used most at least some, and many have shortcomings. So I rant a little to make my point, though it is all just my opinions, so take it all for what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Ubuntu? That's not what I expected people to mention, given Attachmate and whatnot.
          Canonical does follow MS's footsteps pretty heavily (with much less success, though, also because it's orders of magnitude smaller).
          I'm not the only one that thinks they are a secret MS sockpuppet (it's like a decade they never made a profit, whoever is "investing" in them has big pockets) that will be "bought" when MS really wants to make a distro.

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
            numacross: May I ask what OS/tools you were using to create the filesystem? Any special options (like to limit the version, fix block sizes, etc.)? And do you use them with Linux, Win7/10 and current MacOS? Thanks!
            I didn't try myself because I don't cooperate with Windows through sticks too often, but you might be interested in this https://github.com/JElchison/format-udf/#why
            Last edited by Hi-Angel; 29 September 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Canonical does follow MS's footsteps pretty heavily (with much less success, though, also because it's orders of magnitude smaller).
              I'm not the only one that thinks they are a secret MS sockpuppet (it's like a decade they never made a profit, whoever is "investing" in them has big pockets) that will be "bought" when MS really wants to make a distro.

You don't know who Mark Shuttleworth is do you? There's your deep pockets right there.

MS already had their own linux distribution. It was a proxy through SCO. Once upon a time there was a really awesome Linux distribution called Caldera Linux. MS sued them and took over, and then renamed it to SCO and used that as a proxy to screw every other linux distribution it could. It was by every definition anti-trust.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                My response was directed at "Finding a filesystem for your USB drive" and having one that's over 1TB in size is quite rare.
                Well, ok. But my external usb 3.0 hard drives are "my USB drive" too, 1TB external hard drives are the most common USB hard drives nowadays.

I haven't had any problems running it on multiple devices yet, but that's just anecdotal evidence based on my experience.
                I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't recommend nor trust a filesystem I can't fsck, an external drive is exposed to abuse (and my drives do need to be checked at least monthly, maybe I'm using them like a savage though).

Linux lacks a fsck for UDF for example, the existing tool is a stub, I also looked at the source.
                Windows 10 one fails to even detect my big-ish drives so I can't use it either.

Meanwhile with NTFS I get at least metadata journaling so I don't risk to fuck up the filesystem like with FAT32, most half-decent devices can read the drive (not at decent performance but it's usually enough), and while on Linux I can't fsck it (linux NTFS fsck is basic and can't usually do any serious repair) I can fire up a Windows PE Virtual Machine (WinPE = 2GB mostly read-only windows iso image with added GUI and graphical tools, I use Sergei Strelec's Windows PE iso) where I can run a filesystem check on it even if I'm not on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  You don't know who Mark Shuttleworth is do you? There's your deep pockets right there.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth
                  A man with an estimated net worth of less than 200 million dollars that personally finances a 500-employee company that works with 70-100 million dollars yearly?

Sorry but I don't think it all comes from Shuttleworth's gold pot.

MS already had their own linux distribution.
                  If they want to have another distro now, I doubt it would make sense to resurrect SCO. It's linked to bad shit they did in the past.

Also, RH and Novell have contracts or trade agreements with MS already, so unless MS wants to go trolling broke non-profit organizations for lulz, there is no chance they will repeat history.

It was by every definition anti-trust.
                  You have no idea of what "anti-trust" is, as I also pointed out in other posts of yours.
                  Legal trolling (what MS was doing and is still doing to some extent) isn't related to trusts or cartels.

Trusts or cartels are situations when 2 or more parties team up to stop competing with each other, for mutual benefit, and focus on screwing the customers unpunished because there is no more competition.

"Anti-trust" is a government organization/branch supposed to go and nuke trusts, which appears to be asleep since at least the 90s in most countries.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                    Sorry, first off I tend to make comments like these to sort of make "devli's advocate" kind of arguments.
                    Saying "Ugly fonts, ugly icons, ugly styling, ugly transitions/animations" isn't an argument tho, sounds more like generic trolling. Critiques need to be more specific to be taken as such.

And I didn't ask about your wishes about the future, I asked about what distros you had issues with and what was wrong, "ugly" is generic and very subjective. I mean, maybe you have very specific/uncommon tastes, and therefore it's not a general Linux issue.

I sometimes pull down isos and try them out (and there are like 40 different UIs from 15 different distros), and I can't really say everyone is ugly.

Comment

A man with an estimated net worth of less than 200 million dollars that personally finances a 500-employee company that works with 70-100 million dollars yearly?

Sorry but I don't think it all comes from Shuttleworth's gold pot.

If they want to have another distro now, I doubt it would make sense to resurrect SCO. It's linked to bad shit they did in the past.

Also, RH and Novell have contracts or trade agreements with MS already, so unless MS wants to go trolling broke non-profit organizations for lulz, there is no chance they will repeat history.

You have no idea of what "anti-trust" is, as I also pointed out in other posts of yours.
                      Legal trolling (what MS was doing and is still doing to some extent) isn't related to trusts or cartels.

Trusts or cartels are situations when 2 or more parties team up to stop competing with each other, for mutual benefit, and focus on screwing the customers unpunished because there is no more competition.

"Anti-trust" is a government organization/branch supposed to go and nuke trusts, which appears to be asleep since at least the 90s in most countries.
                      Ha! So you have no clue how venture capital works? (And you didn't notice how that's exact what he does.)

Anti-trust is exactly what MS built SCO for. That was the whole entire point. MS is a master at diverting attention from its monopoly. The problem with current ati-trust laws is that MS abuses them to strengthen its monopoly powers. It's -always- been the very foundation of their eee strategies. It's -the- reason eee works so well for them. Just remember the very first step is embrace....

EDIT: My opinion is that american anti-trust laws were designed in age when Standard oil was buying up all competition specifically to kill it. MS doesn't do that. They adopt their competitors strategy so that they appear to be competing with them, and they use that -anti-trust- to strengthen themselves. Their whole entire monopoly is founded on it.

EDIT: I guess I use the word anti-trust the way I do because I think it's proven itself to be a horribly bad thing.
                      Last edited by duby229; 29 September 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X