Artem Tashkinov: Independent Hardware Vendors Hate Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Based on the info, is it ASUS P8P67 motherboard? In that case, have you done BIOS update first?
    Unsurprisingly, some features are specific made for Windows by the vendor meaning someone will need to reverse engineer it or write that software from scratch.
    Remember majority of tasks are sorted by priority when it comes to Linux kernel report but once a proper debbuging is done, the time for answer in excellent.

As an example: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115021#c33
    The suggestion is to file a report on Linux kernel related to ACPI. Chances are code inside Linux kernel may be outdated and needs update. Hope it helps.
    Running the latest BIOS and kernel 4.12. Is there anything else I should update? Chances are the author of the article has been using Linux since 1997 and contributed to numerous open source projects and he might know what he's talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium

what is your fucking problem with that? open-source is still the best solution if it gets the right support from the hardware companies.
      So, you're attacking me personally while proving one of the points of the article which is being discussed? I've lol'ed. Tell me more!

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Artem Tashkinov does not know much about operating systems and programming.

- He uses old and buggy 4,8 kernel
        - win virus hoover does not work after installing without network to get device drivers. Linux distributions does work, because drivers are in the kernel
        - programming apis do break in win virushoover too. I did use undocumented function to solve a problem and in the next version of virus hoover that had changed. 50 000 sold software must have an update.
        - I, amd, nvidia and intel can live with API/ABI changes in the Linux kernel, usually it is just GPL flagging problem. The C compiler shows you the changes.
        - Artem could put dev_err lines in the Alsa driver code to trace his microphone problem.
        - Running 4.12 at the moment.
        - This is not related to our discussion at all.
        - Likewise.
        - Likewise.
        - You're proving one of the points of the article as well - a person must be a low level C programmer to fix his Linux kernel issues. Great!

Comment

• Never seen so many insults on Phoronix. Must be a bad article I guess if it causes so much hatred, cursing, offense and ad hominem arguments. Or maybe it's true but people prefer to keep their ears shut and scream that everything's perfect. Who knows? ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Or maybe it's true but people prefer to keep their ears shut and scream that everything's perfect. Who knows? ;-)
            "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" ;^)

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              no, it improves driver support in linux
              I like your way of differentiated and sophisticated discussion. Also, your overall polite approach to facing various opinions is just making this discussion more productive...

Comment

• That guy is a moron. Linux is ubiquitous everywhere (supercomputers, servers, routers, smartphones, etc) except for the desktop. Any driver problems it had at one point have become pathetically irrelevant. It typically has even better device support (especially for legacy drivers) than Microsoft Windows. Nevermind Apple OSes where they only need to support the limited hardware configurations they sell. Linux is not popular on the desktop for other reasons. The desktop APIs are complex and cumbersome to program for. The desktop environment was made for power users not average users. Also the Linux OS landscape is fragmented. There is no one standard way to distribute bundled applications and binaries that works across distros. Also there is a chicken and egg issue with closed source applications. But Android proved it can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                  I like your way of differentiated and sophisticated discussion
                  well, it is hard to have sophisticated discussion with people living in alternate reality where linux does not have best hardware support among all operating systems for more than a decade

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    I wouldn't hold my breath for RISC-V. When and if it comes it will be just another low power, low performance mobile SoC of zero interest for serious computing. Our best hope for some real, fully open, RYF desktop hardware is IMHO the POWER platform. It won't be cheap, for sure, but it will be the first worthy option in a decade.
                    lol, so rpi is of zero interest while talos was huge success

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      lol, so rpi is of zero interest while talos was huge success
                      The RPI is fantastic and a huge success but not as a high performance desktop machine. It's also proprietary as hell.

As for the Talos, let's wait and see. The Talos II looks promising at least on paper and I'm looking forward to hearing the prices. If they turn out to be reasonable I will get one, to finally have a Linux machine without IME or similar BS while being technologically up to date.

Comment

Working...
                      X