X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I've got specific use case in mind. I am using both sorts for OS installs. And there I can't imaging getting rid of ISO's no matter what. IMG files would in this context be just exact software copies of pre-made USB install mediums.
    Which, imo, is better because it can be formatted in whatever filesystem you prefer.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I think you misunderstand, ISO is a standardized format. IMG is just raw data of any kind. It can be whatever you format it as.
    I've got specific use case in mind. I am using both sorts for OS installs. And there I can't imaging getting rid of ISO's no matter what. IMG files would in this context be just exact software copies of pre-made USB install mediums.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    It would be pretty stupid getting rid of ISOs. Blank drive, fresh install - ISO becomes mandatory. Unless you are into IMG files, which take often even more disk space. Either way, you need installation media images to get going..
    I think you misunderstand, ISO is a standardized format. IMG is just raw data of any kind. It can be whatever you format it as.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    It would be pretty stupid getting rid of ISOs. Blank drive, fresh install - ISO becomes mandatory. Unless you are into IMG files, which take often even more disk space. Either way, you need installation media images to get going..

Leave a comment:

• skierpage
    replied
    Sounds great. I have to get rid of ISOs because they take up space. With this both the network transfer and the local storage are reduced if I have similar chunks of file system locally.

Imagine a diff tool built on top of this. It would tell you exactly what and how files are changed in a new release of your OS or some huge program you use, without you having to download it. If I understand correctly, already you can systemd-nspawn a new release on a casync FUSE file system and it will download the changed blocks as it needs them.

I've always thought .iso files are a crappy way to turn a few MB of interesting ideas into a 350 MB indigestible mess. Creating a tool that turns both block devices and directories into content-addressable chunks with small diffs is smart thinking.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Dmixing... Anyhowm just because pulseaudio does a few important things that may be harder to do with just alsa, doesn't make it any less of a hackjob, it may be a necessary evil for some, but it is still an evil. Just because it does something good doesn't mean it actually is good.
    Ok, I had no idea all that works with alsa & dmix. So you can switch between sinks while the app is running these days? No need to close the browser to switch to bt headphones?

Leave a comment:

• quaymat
    replied
    I can't wait for the term IoT to die! ​​​​​​
    me too

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    I don't now about pushing updates, that's the #1 reason I can't stand Winblows 10.
    Peerblock 1.2 + custom list involving Windows update servers. If you do not know which hosts to look for, download WSUSOffline and have a look at its output. Regardless of Windows10 version, it would stop updates. Also telemetry if you care about adding those hosts into list. Peerblock and WSUSOffline are both free. Latter is even open source (Autoit3 code, if you know VB, should be easy to read)

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    that wouldn't have been possible if systemd truly was monolithic and against Unix principles.
    Accidental and not because any particular adherence to Unix principles, I am sure. Because systemd tends to ignore those same principles overall. If systemd was something like Busybox in nature, it would make a hell of a "monsterbinary", that's why it comes in multiple's..

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

So how do you switch between BT speakers, multiroom audio, and USB DACs when using alsa? Without terminating your apps? Just curious.
    Dmixing... Anyhowm just because pulseaudio does a few important things that may be harder to do with just alsa, doesn't make it any less of a hackjob, it may be a necessary evil for some, but it is still an evil. Just because it does something good doesn't mean it actually is good.

Pulseaudio has always gotten in my way when I've had to use it, Also has always been clean, maybe not simple, but clean and bug-free.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Nope. All programs it "absorbed" are still working on their own (they just need systemd libraries because they are now part of the same project). Some of its daemons that were designed to work as a team were easily changed to work on their own (logind for example), and that wouldn't have been possible if systemd truly was monolithic and against Unix principles.
    did you even read what you wrote?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X