• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avant
    wat happened to my comment
    Bot checking since it is first

Comment

xfce is barely usable. I'm surprised anyone puts up with it. It's damn near impossible to resize a window by click+dragging the corner of the window. You have to be laser pinpoint accurate and get your mouse pointer on the exact corner pixel. Unfortunately, I've found you have to resize windows often in xfce as they often open in inexplicably weird sizes. And then there's the broken tear-ridden compositor and random thunar crashes...

Not a Gnome fan, but it's 100 times better than that mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        GNOME is the standard Linux desktop.
        I don't think so , statistics that both Gnome and KDE together is currently used less than something else Of course on particular hotspots where there is no choice it likely is

See this for example:

Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

Gnome + KDE =~45% which means that else is 55% . On Linux, "standard" is usually not what you expect - neither is Gnome, neither KDE - somewhere as you see not even together

On Debian popcon even where Gnome was *always* default (Debian, where more than 80% userbase use Stable branches and very optimistically guessed maximum of 20% these who roll) Gnome was actually at about 30% last time i checked, etc... If you think that standard is something that is used by 1/4 of userbase on average than i can say OK, but i don't think so

Ubuntu will likely bump some percentage for Gnome next year, but how much that will be... is yet to be seen
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 May 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

How would otherwise hardware companies sells you anything, if you don't have right amount bloat to run I don't expect somebody to buy 16c/32t AMD's Threadripper + 8K monitor and to run Motif GUI on it. Hardware goes up an now Ghone OS suddenly looks normal

Further, Ghone 4 would probably be designed for 32K monitors and for 256 threads CPUs running on Vulkan 3 and so on
          Man. That was just too much for my abs to take. Have mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
            I can't understand why there are so many opponents to GNOME. With some tweaks and extensions it's great desktop environment. It's compact and stable (for me more stable than KDE). Client Side Decorations is great feature on smaller screens, like my laptop.

I'm not surprised with results. Mutter has ability (like any serious composition window managers) to undirect full screen window, so performance should be same as light window managers (Openbox for example). Well, I done some benchmarks with Unigine in GNOME and Fluxbox. In windowed mode fluxbox was faster by ~7FPS, in full screen mode both had same performance. This is what I said.
            The part: "With some tweaks and extensions".
            A DE should have that by default. It's like stitching genitals to castrated person. I'm with you but on absolutely on the other side of the fence. I don't understand how DE that ships with pre-configured shortcut suite can be called innovative?
            And it's not only about performance. Personally I'm Mate/Xfce user and I find those des superior to gnome3 anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
              Man. That was just too much for my abs to take. Have mercy.
              "John Carmack coded Quake on a 28-inch 16:9 1080p monitor in 1995." How much inches your monitor have 22 years after?

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                xfce is barely usable. I'm surprised anyone puts up with it. It's damn near impossible to resize a window by click+dragging the corner of the window. You have to be laser pinpoint accurate and get your mouse pointer on the exact corner pixel. Unfortunately, I've found you have to resize windows often in xfce as they often open in inexplicably weird sizes. And then there's the broken tear-ridden compositor and random thunar crashes...

Not a Gnome fan, but it's 100 times better than that mess.
                the resize hitbox affects multiple window managers or DEs, it's not xfce specific

feel free to use a theme with wider borders (i actually prefer at least a few pixels visually as well), or use the keyboard modifier hotkey to resize from anywhere in the window instead of the corners

of course i think it's a dumb omission to not have a large virtual hitbox, but you're not exactly permanently forced to it

havent seen weird sizes other than vlc opening maximized at times, but only when using compiz not compton

speaking of which, compiz & compton mean you dont use xfce's broken vsync

thunar's columns dont seem to resize with the window, therefore it's crap & i changed file managers... feel free to do that as well, i dont understand why people want to be locked down to everything built into a DE

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

The part: "With some tweaks and extensions".
                  A DE should have that by default. It's like stitching genitals to castrated person. I'm with you but on absolutely on the other side of the fence. I don't understand how DE that ships with pre-configured shortcut suite can be called innovative?
                  And it's not only about performance. Personally I'm Mate/Xfce user and I find those des superior to gnome3 anytime.
                  Most people do not customize their DE's, and DE is made to manage your applications/windows and stay out of your way, that's about it. GNOME 3 can be customized, you can change your background, privacy settings, display settings, power settings and most important settings in general. You can use tweak tool and change themes, fonts, layout and lot's of other things..., from that perspective it makes sense, users who know about theming posibility (in general) and can find themes, can easilly find tweak tool also, the only real feature that is missing (probably) is font settings, that should be in gnome control center.

I don't know about XFCE, I didn't used it more than 1 hour in total, but how could DE's such as MATE (old gnome) and KDE be better with completely irrelevant settings that are not centralized but all over the place in sub-menus, tabs etc. (complete disorganized nightmare...) but without meaningful privacy option be better than DE with all relevant options available out of the box? I remmember when using MATE i had to delete "recently-used.xbel" and create folder in order to prevent dumb panel of tracing documents, how is that fucntional? On KDE also, but much worse, it's racing everything, and tehre's literally no option of preventing panel of colecting recent doc's and applications, in GNOME 3, you can completely disable any tracking by simply pressing off switch in control-center, privacy. Now enlighten me, how are DE's that lack some basic features and have some completely irrelevant disorganized settings better than the one that does not lack at least basic features?

Comment

Last time I checked XFCE it was inflexible hog. I went Lubuntu over it for a 7 yr old netbook and an 11 yr old laptop.

I've been using Mint with Cinnamon for about 7 years. The latest kernel update threw my five monitor setup into a tizzy, so I thought I'd give a bunch of the others a quick run-through to see what shape they're in. I started using Linux in 1994, so I've seen a lot. The mess that I went through with KDE in both Fedora and OpenSuse told me that it has not improved one iota since I last gave it a spin around 2009.

Furthermore, both of those distros have an unbelievably rotten partition manager. I work with several thousand RHEL servers every day, so I'm very familiar with RH's partition management. Therefore I was extremely amazed that the Fedora approach was worse than what I first experienced back around 17 years ago when Red Hat under the name Red Hat, first came out.

After fussing around with those, I can understand why more people have not adopted Linux as a desktop. I deem them both absolute bottom of the septic tank garbage. And KDE in its current state, is the corn kernels stuck in that waste.

I don't have time to mess about with many distros and many desktops, so for now, I'm going to stick with Mint Cinnamon and Lubuntu, based on the profile of the client.

I understand the move from XFCE, and though Gnome isn't great, I can't argue their move to it.

Comment

Well, I certainly hope XFCE continues to be developed as it's the only GUI that doesn't seem like it's trying to emulate Windows 8/10. I mean sheesh, I could live with a hit on performance but not Windows 8/10 again. I've spent years developing my own custom flat theme, now running on Xubuntu 16.04.2, and it's absolutely beautiful!

And by the way, the Thunar crash problem when renaming files was fixed awhile ago, and in any case there are quite a few other file managers you can use if you don't like it.

I really enjoy making my desktop work and look they way I want it to, and unfortunately Gnome and KDE seem to fight customization every inch of the way. Even Mate and Cinnamon seem fairly locked down nowadays.

My fear is that Microsoft has set a bad example for everyone, and yet many developers still seem to want to follow them. I have no idea why since their last few GUIs have been almost universally panned.

Comment

Working...
                      X