No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great news! I was interested in Unity in the beginning and followed the development, but since they introduced commercial in the start menu, my curiosity suddenly died. I'm kind of conservative and use XFCE since many years, but I know that Unity is preferred by many people and I'm OK with that. I am indeed really happy, that there are so many wonderful alternatives including Unity. However, as a developer I hate Unity (and Ubuntu) and would like to burn it with fire. They modified everything in a non standard way and always being trying to be not Linux. When you develop an application with GUI or a game you always have to do it for Ubuntu in a "special" way, all other distributions and desktops just work out of the box. If something is made for Ubuntu, it is often a paint in the ass to get it running properly on something else. Thank you Mark, that you decided to come back, may be Ubuntu will become worth it again, after so many years. And regarding Unity guys, stop crying, if you don't like Gnome, help Cannonical to make it look like Unity and everyone will be happy. Or switch to something else, there are so many nice options.

Comment

I don't use Ubuntu but I dislike that they end Unity and their qt-efforts also.
      The DE is not bad and I found it one of the most productive oob.
      That they end their phone, mir and qt efforts is understandable.
      That task was too heavy for such a small company.
      I think it's a good sign for the desktop and upstream.
      Let's hope they now contribute to upstream more and improve their usability desktop wise.
      Also let's hope they don't fire their developers and more rebase them to other projects.

Comment

HA! Serves you right Canonical for screwing over your users 2011 on.

Comment

Hrm? Did I miss April 1fst, or Canonical finally saw the light and decided to ditch the Mir diversion?

Comment

So I guess no more Ubuntu Gnome since it won't be needed. And Canonical​ can definitely make Gnome shell feel like unity if they want to with their own dock or something so no big deal. Kinda makes me wonder about system76 since all their stuff is Ubuntu/unity based

Comment

Why am I not surprised ?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                so now MS has no competition on the convergence
                ms is dead in phones. linux already won everywhere except desktop. so maybe it is time to work on desktop, ffs

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Holy shit. Is this your reaction? We have been telling you for years that this was not the correct path, and you kept trolling gnome on phoronix and omgubuntu. You are unbelievable.
                  trolling?, gnome is a piece of garbage, is not usable without a lot of tweaks and extensions, gain some brains

Comment

Good job, Canonical. Your credibility is equal to 0, assuming it cannot be a negative number.

Comment

Gnome 3 is a brilliant DE. I use it everyday, and tend to state my workflow has gotten pretty fast with it. Ubuntu did a right decision here, trying to compete with the whole universe being a rather small company will just take them nowhere, because the universe will always be faster than them.

Comment

Working...
                      X