Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

If he didnt give a shit about Linux he wouldnt put 10 million dollars in Ubuntu Foundation, there is no profit in that so how do you explain that? Red Hat had a massive headstart compared to Ubuntu, it took a long time for Ubuntu to take a foothold in server market and they finally did it, they are also extremely popular in the cloud and IoT, that is where they make money as Shuttleworth himself said in that post, Unity 8 and Mir ended up being a waste of money because the hardware vendors were not interested in convergence.
    You're not wrong, but I don't think you realize the reason for that is anti-competition.

Comment

• I'll be honest, this pushes me to just use Solus and be done with Ubuntu. The Budgie desktop is really nice (they are moving it to Qt) and the main developer is smart and super passionate. He responds to everything pretty much on their subreddit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Especially when Gnome fanboys invade and initiate a circle jerk.
        Calling me a Gnome fanboy is just exactly like calling yourself retarded. It's probably the furthest thing from the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Calling me a Gnome fanboy is just exactly like calling yourself retarded. It's probably the furthest thing from the truth.
          I didnt mean you.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            We all knew this whole convergence thing was a money sink with no hope of success from the get-go. Too bad Shuttleworth and his orbiters didn't listen to the voices out there.

But as awful as Unity is, if they go to GNOME Shell I'm out. Maybe I'll grab MATE or switch over to Solus or, what the heck, just go back to Windows. Why is it so hard to get a non-retarded desktop on Linux?
            I ask that myself everyday brother, why can't we have a non-retarded desktop on linux?

Something using qt, wayland ready, which has a sane interface and isn't bloated as hell like plasma.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mavman View Post

There are distros easier than Ubuntu! For sure you know that...
              That wasn't always the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Also for the Anti-GNOME guys out there, I would really appreciate if you could expand on your statements as to why Gnome sucks for YOU. Legitimate, articulate criticism, then instead of dismissing your comments I could actually identify some areas that Gnome should work on.
                Vanilla gnome sucks for me because i don't want to move my mouse to the top left corner (and back again) everytime i wanna switch programs, it's a pain in the ass, gnome is an unusable desktop without extensions.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Here we go:
                  Xfce vs Gnome3:
                  mouse focused vs keyboard focused in a graphical desktop!
                  ready vs not ready
                  stable vs not stable
                  light vs heavy
                  fast vs slow
                  freely configurable vs not freely configurable
                  whisker menu vs full screen app menu, what a mess in a big display.

Maybe mr canonical read my post where I told that they will be alone with mir and unity. Debian derivative distributions are a waste of resources anyway.
                  Thanks!

Comment

• lol 149 comments already ! ok +1 this one.

far out, what a stupid project in the first place. I could understand the rational behind the concept however they took no time to understand the problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anvil View Post

huh, if its so " usable " why is Marky boy getting rid of Unity Crapola? its just like the Flop that was the Unity Phone that was supposed to come out which never saw daylight . the fact that Gnome is much better than Unity due to its Extensions etc, something Unity Lack in. then you have Gnome-Mate, between those 2 DE's there'd be more Downloads of those 2 than there would be of Unity alone. one wonders if Mir/XMir will also be another Failure
                      Got a source for that? From a poll conducted on omgubuntu, Unity is the most popular DE.

Comment

Working...
                      X