No announcement yet.

Munich Said To Be Moving Away From Linux/LiMux, Back To Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael you say "our friends at Golem.de" but you link to an article from heise.de

Comment

Unfortunately I can't say I'm all that surprised when it's been known for years that Microsoft has been going behind the scenes to try to convince local officials to switch back to Windows by offering their software for free.

As for the Accenture estimate on the costs of this, get ready to find out that it ended up being much more expensive than what they thought it would be as Accenture are one big company of bumbling yes men incapable of delivering anything on budget, on schedule or in a working state. It's also kind of telling that they didn't even seem to consider running Office trough Wine (which actually works rather well) as that would have let them work with all of those files just fine with only a fraction of the work involved in switching the whole working environment, OS and all.

I guess this once again goes to show that Microsoft still has a stranglehold on the business and government markets trough a combination of their proprietary file formats, general incapability/unwillingness to create or follow common standards and ability to corrupt politicians...
      Last edited by L_A_G; 10 February 2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Let me guess: CSU at its best.

Comment

q2dg I really doubt had anything to do with technicalities. "Big" back-end - all sorts of servers services - if they had it on Linux and now changing - that is just plain... well stupid. It
          always is some middle-man and their greed. Now there will be somebody, possibly quite a few bodies, that can sale, sale! sale!
          bug77 Also thin ice - even MS Office, for a while now, if have not embraced then have fully supported ODF.
          Every where else - which is the end user and their gadgets, like smart phones, tables, etc. which is the least important, should be: Android+Chromebooks - all these are cheaper and also jobs for local people.
          Long story short - in my mind - corrupted and under-qualified people made those decisions. We get them everywhere, everywhere! but a bit of surprise to me was: Germany?
          prazola - rasizm? Really my friend, you should look up the word in a dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
            When they will eventually see that none of their problems will have gone after switching back to proprietary software, maybe they will understand that political "solutions" for technical problems are of no worth.

LiMux has been under bombardement from Munich's conservative politicians for many years and finally their FUD strategy prevails.
            I don't think they're making decisions based on technical details, but rather monetary bribe from Microsoft. Ballmer tried doing that once, I forgot to which city, and he failed.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Afaik, Linux was working fine for them. It was only when they had to share documents with other authorities that they were requested to submit MS Office formats that gave them headaches. So yes, breaking free from Microsoft is hard.
              Afaik MS Office can handle open document formats just fine... So why on earth would someone specifically request documents in MS office format only?

My wild guess is someone easily "brainwashable" person was a target of some MS lobbyist.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                It was customized something, not a Linux distribution. No wonder communists do what they do. With Debian testing Xfce they would still use Linux. Debian testing Xfce with the Whisker menu is like using windows vista without the windows problems.
                Communists in Bavaria. You really have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post

Racism is strong with you, padawan.
                  His nick is Polish, they have a beef going back hundreds of years.
                  Doesn't make him right, though.

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
                    Racism is strong with you, padawan.
                    Since when were the Germans a race? Or are we now using the all too common re-definition of race where religious groups like muslims somehow a race and criticism of them is an act of racism?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Since when were the Germans a race?
                      Aryans come to mind, but that's massively derailing this thread, so let's not go there.

Comment

Working...
                      X