Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Git Virtual File-System (GVFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Like the Ribbons that LibreOffice invented? oh wait ....
    Tell me, how is that supposed to be related to Linux when LibreOffice is cross-platform?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      if they are not morons how is it that their smartphone operating system far eclipsed by everything else?
      because they are successful only when they can exploit monopoly, which was granted to them
      They are unsuccessful in the smartphone arena for the same reason that canonical, sailfish, tizen and KDE are not successful - too late to the game.

Comment

so you are not target audience of this
        nope, GVFS will probably never enter my realm of need. That does not make it any less interesting. I do wonder if the microsoft team will come up with optimisations for GIT in general though, that'd be cool

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

You mean, the one where they are copying more and more Linux features?
          OH NOES WHAT WILL WE ALL DO IF WE HAVE GOOD DESKTOPS WITH GOOD FEATURES...

if you look at android/ios they have been copying (i.e. innovating out of each others play books) each other for years

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            They are unsuccessful in the smartphone arena for the same reason that canonical, sailfish, tizen and KDE are not successful - too late to the game.
            opponents from alternative reality make me sad. ms had 12% smartphone marketshare when google was "too late to the game". somehow it didn't stop google and it didn't help ms

Comment

opponents from alternative reality make me sad. ms had 12% smartphone marketshare when google was "too late to the game". somehow it didn't stop google and it didn't help ms
              true, before Apple came along with the iPhone MS had all the "smart phone" market with Windows CE. it was terrible but useful, and the only game in town.

The other phone OS's also came and went too (symbian et al).

Microsoft left the phone OS market for a while, then tried to make a come back - which, while it was a nice OS - did not have the mind share of developers. I am sure they could have driven it better, but at the moment they are fumbling around trying to find themselves. At any rate do not discount them (do so at your own detriment), it will be interesting to see where they go and who will be the next big "innovator" will be in the next big technology.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                What idiot decided that putting 3.5M files into a single repo is a good idea?
                As long as they make it optional, i think it's actually a good thing.
                You can start working faster in case you're familiar with the code.

Comment

Thinking about it, 270GB of source in 3.5 million files ... I don’t think even the source for the whole of Debian is that big. And Debian offers so much more functionality in its packages. So what is all that Windows source doing?

The answer is that the Microsoft engineers themselves have no idea...

Comment

Apparently all Microsoft is doing is reimplementing FUSE.

Comment

Microsoft keeps doing good stuff, I find this hard to believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X