The Development Pace Of Systemd Fell Sharply This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
    I hope for the sake of humanity you're being sarcastic.
    Just a bit. Doing better than systemd is gonna be real hard.

Comment

Or it could be that these people complaining don't have the skills necessary to fix the issue.
      If people lack skills to fix shit they care about, they hire someone that can.
      Plumbers, electricians, people working on roofs, already fall in this category. Why not programmers?

No, it wasn't but it was an engineered effort by RedHat to bring Linux under their thumb, hence why Canonical put up such a fuss with adopting systemd. It was a multi lateral effort that involved creeping systemd's scope to scoop up projects like ConsoleKit, udev, etc. to lock out the stragglers from new features. It ended up strangling the community until they gave up and gave in to the bullying.
      Canonical is making a large fuss about adopting Wayland too. Is that also an evil plan to overtake Linux (and BSD) done by evil Intel?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        ... if I had to point towards one thing that I really hate in modern Linux is that the developers rarely have the guts to take appropriate action with an abomination like SystemD ...
        Feel free to show us how it’s done.

The entire history of Open Source is created by those with the guts to show the rest of us how it’s done.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Just a bit. Doing better than systemd is gonna be real hard.
          No comment. The fact that you even would say that is asinine. I'd go as far to say svchost is better than systemd - there I said it. Windows did it better than Linux.

If people lack skills to fix shit they care about, they hire someone that can.
          Plumbers, electricians, people working on roofs, already fall in this category. Why not programmers?
          Not that I don't agree with you but the current cost of programming is too high for many people to afford services - made worse by the difficulty of writing safe code in languages like C and C++.

Canonical is making a large fuss about adopting Wayland too. Is that also an evil plan to overtake Linux (and BSD) done by evil Intel?
          Apples and oranges. If you want to compare, you could compare dbus since both Wayland and dbus are protocols with many implementations. No, Canonical wants complete control over the direction of their display server hence why they insist on Mir.

Furthermore, you don't see the scope creep of Wayland unlike systemd. I have no issue with Wayland, but I'll probably end up running X for a long time alongside of it. You don't see wayland bringing a device daemon, a login manager, a console daemon, hostname, ntpdate, and many other projects under its roof - discontinuing the old projects to lock out people who don't adopt the new umbrella project. The fact that udev and logind work outside of systemd via eudev and elogind shows this - you don't need them integrated together. Theodore Ts'o agrees with me.

Comment

No comment. The fact that you even would say that is asinine. I'd go as far to say svchost is better than systemd - there I said it. Windows did it better than Linux.
            Huh, no. Svchost is barely better than sysvinit.

Not that I don't agree with you but the current cost of programming is too high for many people to afford services - made worse by the difficulty of writing safe code in languages like C and C++.
            Crowdfunding?

Furthermore, you don't see the scope creep of Wayland unlike systemd.
            There is no scope-creep. It was supposed to do that since inception, It just takes time to write stuff.

You don't see wayland bringing a device daemon, a login manager, a console daemon, hostname, ntpdate, and many other projects under its roof
            Yeah, being a protocol and not a program, it's a bit hard for it.

discontinuing the old projects to lock out people who don't adopt the new umbrella project.
            What was discontinued again? It's all opensource, they maintain what THEY need for THEMSELVES, if none else steps up to maintain stuff it gets discontinued.

The fact that udev and logind work outside of systemd via eudev and elogind shows this - you don't need them integrated together.
            And they are not. They are just shipped together and altered a bit to work well with systemd.

Theodore Ts'o agrees with me.
            The maintainers of major linux distros do not.

Comment

I'd go as far to say svchost is better than systemd - there I said it. Windows did it better than Linux.
              https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=svchost+fix

About 402,000 results (0.27 seconds)

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

As actively or slightly more so than ALSA (no joke).
                You must be raving.

OSS in the kernel has been dead for years.

OSSv4/4Front has been dead for at least three years.

OSS is maintained only in various BSD distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

The only issue I have with Systemd is binary logs.
                  Which are on the whole a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Which are on the whole a good idea.
                    Where did you cut and paste from, it's quite obvious as you didn't even change the text formatting ?

I'm well versed with journalctl, thanks.

Comment

Generally binary logs mean you get better read/query performance but they are vulnerable to file corruption on crashes or incorrect shutdowns. It's a trade-off.

Comment

Working...
                      X