Libreboot Drama Continues, GNU Might Keep The Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    there is a new vbulletin upgrade available... will be trying it out either today or next weekend to hopefully fix the oddness lately.
    Good luck with the upgrade. Fingers crossed.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      This forum is unmoderated (if we exclude the automated annoyance done by vBullettin), so yeah, people will talk of whatever with impunity.
      No.

Flagging inappropriate comments does sometimes lead to their removal, which is evidence of a moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        No.
        Flagging inappropriate comments does sometimes lead to their removal, which is evidence of a moderation.
        "sometimes"? I'd say it's more like vBullettin being buggy than someone moderating. Afaik Michael is "moderating" only bots.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Leah has the Burden of Proof. She fails to provide such Proof and continues to burn the opposing party for seemingly no reason. She also publicly lists names in the company and requests they be fired. Even if she is right, her own actions and attitude have ironically acted as a distraction to any potential problem. That alone, I think, is reason enough to voice yourself against her.
          If she fails, then this still does not necessarily mean, that she is wrong. It looks like, what you wrote, but still... it mainly 'just' looks like it. Therefore, I would prefer a neutral position.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
            If she fails, then this still does not necessarily mean, that she is wrong. It looks like, what you wrote, but still... it mainly 'just' looks like it. Therefore, I would prefer a neutral position.
            I am missing compassion in all of this. It's wrong when one sides goes public, but it's now like everyone thinks they have a bone to pick with her. People of her own project don't have her back. It doesn't just say something about her, but also about the people within the project. I cannot stop laughing about the members when they first let her have all the control and then suddenly it's a bad thing. It's as if mother turns into evil dictator and the kids get scared and start to rebel. You just got to laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Well, why would they be? What do manufacturers gain from using Openboot in their hardware, instead of one of the existing BIOS/EFI suppliers?
              Well, I must admit I forgot that they actually had BIOS suppliers like AMI.
              Basically, this boils down to:
              • Lower costs
              • Support more features
              • More configurability for the customer
              • Less bugs & more reliability
              • Harmonize a bit more the different bioses out there (OK, I heard they wanted a way to differentiate)

That's what they would gain, I believe. Of course, they would not hesitate a second if everything was pink and shiny, and if they actually cared for the customer. The motherboard choice shouldn't matter that much, but I am starting to think they deliberately let bugs in and cripple features to push customers towards their higher-end models.

[OFF-topic] (just realized it was completely off-topic and forgot how this could help me make my point, but I'll leave it here). For example, I have an Asus motherboard, with a functionality called "express gate" (that's quite old, I know), where you can boot up a minimalistic (Linux-based, I think) operating system in seconds. I would love to be able to boot my own kernel (the one I run now in my fully-fledged OS) instead of their crappy one. [/OFF-topic]

Comment

I'm not sure. Most such contracts are also exclusives, you cannot go to an editor, publish something, then go to another and publish again.
                Same for most movies or TV series, distribution contracts also have "worldwide exclusives" or "nationwide exclusives" or whatever, where the contract does not allow the copyright holder (the movie producers) to sell the media to others in the world or nation or whatever. Of course prices vary accordingly.
                Yeah, but that's just the contract, not copyright. If you have a contract that gives someone exclusive rights - and then continue to sell the rights to others, copyright law won't stop you. But you'd certainly be in breach of contract, with all that that entails.

Comment

It's as if mother turns into evil dictator and the kids get scared and start to rebel. You just got to laugh...
                  It's common in opensource projects to have no clear leadership or a single point of failure like that. If worse comes to worse you can always fork.

Comment

It's common in opensource projects to have no clear leadership or a single point of failure like that. If worse comes to worse you can always fork.
                    No, it's not just open source. People don't use their vote and yet have an opinion on politics; kids always believe mum is the best, until mum opens a can of whoop-ass; employees think they have the best employer until a company needs to make cuts; and so on. It's called blind trust and people almost every time blame others for it. It's a bad habit to have blind trust. And it's entertaining to watch

Comment

I am missing compassion in all of this. It's wrong when one sides goes public, but it's now like everyone thinks they have a bone to pick with her. People of her own project don't have her back. It doesn't just say something about her, but also about the people within the project.
                      I wouldn't think so. It seems to me that the decision to leave the FSF and posting the complaints on the website was not something that was discussed with other contributors, so it's not like they all started turning on her. If anything it exposes weaknesses in the project's organisation.

Comment

Working...
                      X