FSF, RMS Issue Statements Over Libreboot's Accusations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    The whole notion of a person's "gender", supposedly unrelated to sex, is a moronic and arbitrary invention with no basis in reality.
    Yeah, gender is an artificial construct, where all men should be manly and all female should be femally.

In fact the very word "gender" refers exclusively to the grammatical class of inanimate objects or abstract concepts.
    Umm, no https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gender

If a MAN wants to play woman, by all means, be my guest, but HE shouldn't expect the world to pay any attention to his whim.
    Why? Because he is violating your own vision of grammar? Are you so hard-core grammar nazi or do you have more advanced arguments for that unwashed troglodyte statement?

The idea that language should be purged of undesirable features
    Yeah, when the word "nigger" was demoted from "proper name of black people" to "insult" you were there campaigning for this grammar purity, I saw the pics.

or forcibly changed to prevent thoughtcrime
    Lolwhut? Language is just a tool and should reflect the users. If the users don't want to care about genders anymore, it's perfectly fine to change it. Languages evolved over time because of this reason.

Here the point is why you are so affectionate to gender pronouns at all. I don't give a fuck, if someone wants me to call him "his majesty" I do too, it's just a name/nickname/pronoun/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      @starshipeleven Don't argue with morons. When the revolution happens they'll be the first to be thrown overboard.
      fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Yeah, gender is an artificial construct, where all men should be manly and all female should be femally.
        You obviously missed the part about INANIMATE or ABSTRACT. Fail.

Fail again. If you read half way your own reference, you would see this:

Since the 1960s, it is increasingly common—particularly in academic contexts—to distinguish between sex and gender

There. Meanwhile for the rest of us who do not live in a 1960s Hippie commune, INANIMATE things have gender. People don't have gender, they have sex. Sex is not determined by "feeling" or "identification", it is a word that refers to a pair of chromosomes. You are BORN male or female, nothing more, nothing less. You can *pretend* to be the other if you really want to, it doesn't hurt anyone, but that's about it.

Why? Because he is violating your own vision of grammar? Are you so hard-core grammar nazi or do you have more advanced arguments for that unwashed troglodyte state
        No, because I don't have "my own" vision of grammar just like I don't have "my own" understanding of the meaning of male and female. There is such a thing objectivity, and this is one example of it. It just seems that for some people it's an incredibly difficult concept to grasp.

Yeah, when the word "nigger" was demoted from "proper name of black people" to "insult" you were there campaigning for this grammar purity, I saw the pics.
        May I ask what pics you saw? I challenge you to give me, here and now, a precise reference of which picture you saw of me campaigning in support of "nigger". FYI, I was not born back then, although I suppose that in your world I should say that I had not yet chosen to identify as being born. I'm sure that it doesn't stop you from "feeling" that you saw a picture of me being there anyway.

But mind that if you fail to show the pictures, it will be objective proof that you are either delusional, or a liar.

Lolwhut? Language is just a tool and should reflect the users. If the users don't want to care about genders anymore, it's perfectly fine to change it. Languages evolved over time because of this reason.
        I partly agree with that, but indeed only partly. Language is first and foremost a system of commonly agreed definitions used to ensure mutual understanding. Each word has a discrete, exact meaning. You can't arbitrarily change the meaning of words in pursuit of an agenda.

Here the point is why you are so affectionate to gender pronouns at all. I don't give a fuck, if someone wants me to call him "his majesty" I do too, it's just a name/nickname/pronoun/whatever.
        Of course you realise that calling someone "his majesty" because he's asking for it is the most tired of all clichés in asylum jokes.

Comment

fixed that for you.
          I would think that johnc is pefectly capable to write exactly what he means without needing you to fix it. In fact you may even consider the possibility that *if* he needed help with expressing his thoughts, he may not ask you.

Comment

The Free Software Foundation should give some of our donations to a WineHQ fork with native D3D11 support and complete libraries without Winetricks and prefixes, so we can get rid of MS. They should do that or close the shop. They have bypass by far the limits of abuse of our donations.

Comment

You obviously missed the part about INANIMATE or ABSTRACT. Fail.
              I didn't include it in the quote because it was bs. counter-fail.

Since the 1960s, it is increasingly common—particularly in academic contexts—to distinguish between sex and gender
              There. Meanwhile for the rest of us who still have a pre-1960s mentality, INANIMATE things have gender.
              fixed.
              Really, that's more than 50 years ago, you can't blame trans people for that (thus you blame hippies).

Also, giving gender (some kind of sex) to inanimate objects is still retarded. An object has no sex, no gender no nothing. Even sex toys.

People don't have gender, they have sex. Sex is not determined by "feeling" or "identification", it is a word that refers to a pair of chromosomes. You are BORN male or female, nothing more, nothing less. You can *pretend* to be the other if you really want to, it doesn't hurt anyone, but that's about it.
              Which is exactly what I'm saying. The troglodyte part is on your side when you say you cannot call people like they want because grammar or whatever other bs reason.

No, because I don't have "my own" vision of grammar just like I don't have "my own" understanding of the meaning of male and female.
              Yes you do as things changed meanwhile, the issue here is that you seem to think upholding arbitrary grammar rules from ancient times is better than not offending people.

May I ask what pics you saw?I challenge you to give me, here and now, a precise reference of which picture you saw of me campaigning in support of "nigger". FYI, I was not born back then, although I suppose that in your world I should say that I had not yet chosen to identify as being born. I'm sure that it doesn't stop you from "feeling" that you saw a picture of me being there anyway.
              Aw come on, that was sarcasm to point out that stuff was redacted from language in the past for the exact same reasons you seem to think are wrong now (i.e. not offending other people).
              I also played a bit on the fact that you seem to have ancient beliefs on things, as that mentality is indeed not modern since a while ago.

I assumed that the fact it happened some centuries ago was obvious enough for you to get that it was sarcasm.

But mind that if you fail to show the pictures, it will be objective proof that you are either delusional, or a liar.
              Does this little obvious joke make me a delusional liar now? The horror. I will never be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

I partly agree with that, but indeed only partly. Language is first and foremost a system of commonly agreed definitions used to ensure mutual understanding. Each word has a discrete, exact meaning. You can't arbitrarily change the meaning of words in pursuit of an agenda.
              Yeah right, each word has a discrete, exact meaning in your own wet dreams. Language is in constant evolution and meaning of words change subtly with time, words become obsolete, new words appear, people in specific areas add accents and corruptions to the language until it becomes different enough to become a new one (for example spanish, french, italian and quite a few english words come from latin)
              Language has always followed the majority of its user's (or their leader's) agenda, that's how things have always been.

Btw, did you know that "vagina" is "scabbard" in latin (medieval anatomists sure were jokers)? That's just an example of how stuff changes meaning and gets reused as time passes.

Of course you realise that calling someone "his majesty" because he's asking for it is the most tired of all clichés in asylum jokes.
              Sorry to hear that, how about "batman"?

Here the point is why you are so affectionate to gender pronouns at all. I don't give a fuck, if someone wants me to call him "batman" I do too, it's just a name/nickname/pronoun/whatever.

Comment

I would think that johnc is pefectly capable to write exactly what he means without needing you to fix it. In fact you may even consider the possibility that *if* he needed help with expressing his thoughts, he may not ask you.
                Don't worry, we are bros. I know what he really wanted to do.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  The Free Software Foundation should give some of our donations to a WineHQ fork with native D3D11 support and complete libraries without Winetricks and prefixes, so we can get rid of MS. They should do that or close the shop. They have bypass by far the limits of abuse of our donations.
                  Wine allows the use of closed-source programs, you know the FSF will never do that as they oppose closed-source.
                  Anyone donating to FSF for that reason didn't understand the point of FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    Yeah, I'm sure allowing you to play your Windows gamez is their first priority..

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, I'm sure allowing you to play your Windows gamez is their first priority..
                      Linux everywhere should be their first priority and we all know how to get there. As Linux raises in percentage, the demand for free code will raise, also the volunteering work will raise. I'm not saying that they do bad job with the quality of the free code, I'm saying that they don't give a shit to raise their share.

Comment

Working...
                      X