Systemd Rolls Out Its Own Mount Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by curfew View Post
    "Nothing bad", lol. I've had NFS mounts 'block' and in Gnome that means the whole fucking desktop might freeze, or all Nautilus instances at the very least. That's far from usable.
    Have you ever considered to switch to another desktop environment?

Comment

• Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post

shocking. how can that be systemd fault?

oh right, it's always everyone else's fault. never yours.

and btw, you still have dozens of systemd-free distributions.

for you, linux may be an "enthusiast" platform, for many of us, it was never like that.
      No worries, I already use a systemd free enthusiast class distribution. But even you have to admit that systemd Has made those distro's a lot more difficult. Look at their incorporation of udev and how it affects Gentoo. Look at how their implementation of logind prevents anyone else from using its very much needed capability, which hurts every other distribution. Despite what you say the facts are very much different.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

No worries, I already use a systemd free enthusiast class distribution. But even you have to admit that systemd Has made those distro's a lot more difficult. Look at their incorporation of udev and how it affects Gentoo. Look at how their implementation of logind prevents anyone else from using its very much needed capability, which hurts every other distribution. Despite what you say the facts are very much different.
        I find this wrong. I maintain own, source based mediacenter distribution, that uses systemd, but is logind-free. because I dont even need the feature-set logind offers. not that there aren't any alternatives to what logind does, I dont have to care, it works on my desktops. it made my life easier.

we can argue about udev, but in past 3 years, it has become better in my eyes. I wont speak on how good or bad gentoo is, and wont comment their problems.

other distros / OSes having issues with specific systemd features, while they dont want to use systemd at all, is obviously not systemd fault. can we agree to agree on this ?

Comment

I find this wrong. I maintain own, source based mediacenter distribution, that uses systemd, but is logind-free. because I dont even need the feature-set logind offers. not that there aren't any alternatives to what logind does, I dont have to care, it works on my desktops. it made my life easier.

we can argue about udev, but in past 3 years, it has become better in my eyes. I wont speak on how good or bad gentoo is, and wont comment their problems.

other distros / OSes having issues with specific systemd features, while they dont want to use systemd at all, is obviously not systemd fault. can we agree to agree on this ?
          Consolekit sucks man. Logind really is way better. Ubuntu did try to fork it out, but it was a total failure and now they use systemd too. If you read the logs from those days you'll see it was definitely systemd's fault. Perhaps I'm unaware of something else currently being worked on.... I hope that's the case.

Comment

Consolekit sucks man. Logind really is way better. Ubuntu did try to fork it out, but it was a total failure and now they use systemd too. If you read the logs from those days you'll see it was definitely systemd's fault. Perhaps I'm unaware of something else currently being worked on.... I hope that's the case.
            sure it sucks. now tell me, why there is no better alternative?

you say that logind (part of systemd) has some very nice and wanted capabilities, but you want just logind, and nothing more. do I read that right?

what stops you from coding a decent alternative then share it and support it for tens of millions? one that even exports the same dbus interfaces logind does ?

Comment

• so, if I understand all right, you want to use a systemd specific component, that was designed to work with systemd. but you want to use it completely without systemd. because logind is actualy great, consolekit sucks, and there is no better alternative.

so, your (or some random distros) inability to fork and make it so it fits your specific use case, is a systemd fault?

why on earth should systemd folk care about supporting only part of their software, for your edge case.. ?

Comment

sure it sucks. now tell me, why there is no better alternative?

you say that logind (part of systemd) has some very nice and wanted capabilities, but you want just logind, and nothing more. do I read that right?

what stops you from coding a decent alternative then share it and support it for tens of millions? one that even exports the same dbus interfaces logind does ?
                This conversation prompted me to google search and I come across elogind. I don't know if it is related to Ubuntu's attempt at a fork, or if it's a totally different fork attempt, but it does exist. Although the systemd devs are claiming the interface between logind and systemd will not be kept stable, so as such elogind has little chance to track changes with upstream.

Comment

• stefansaraev I posted a reply, but it's stuck in the mod queue. It'll show up eventually. But yeah, I think you considering linux enthusiasts an edge case is exactly what systemd's major fault is too.

Comment

stefansaraev I posted a reply, but it's stuck in the mod queue. It'll show up eventually. But yeah, I think you considering linux enthusiasts an edge case is exactly what systemd's major fault is too.
                    I consider wanting to use logind (as a unique tool, which has no good alternatives) without systemd, and pointing finger at systemd people because somehow they did not design it to work like that, an edge case.

Comment

• and my personal opinion is hardly a systemd fault. too

please dont take offense, but seriously, what you need is a bit of common sense, think twice before posting complete bullshit.

I guess you should already know how opensource works. if you do, and still writing all this nonsense. well. no comment

if you dont understand how opensource works, I'd better leave right now..

Comment

Working...
                      X