Systemd Rolls Out Its Own Mount Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This new mount is a separate binary. How in the hell is this breaking Unix philosphy?

This new mount differs from the older mount because this one can offload things to do on systemd or add/manipulate tags used by systemd.
    Without systemd this tool is worthless.
    I don't mind that tools like this get made. There are all kinds of messy things systemd does that need worked around. I think if they were maintained separately it would result in a thinner, lighter, more open systemd.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
      QED? Systemd homogenization increases this.
      Missed the point. Linux desktop systems are already homogeneous and have always been homogeneous because they lack the manpower to be truly different, unless software version and a bunch of details like packaging system differences matter as "difference".

Systemd operates with various kernel features that allow it to protect more the userspace by sandboxing things like say by using cgroups, something that older init systems couldn't do.

Rephrasing other peoples posts, in a fashion you think is "funny...?" Um, perhaps you could engage with what is being said? But Troll posting and flamebaiting by others is bad.....? Mmmm? Tsk, tsk...
      I never claimed I have moral high ground, you did.
      So I can troll your sorry little ass all I want if you post bs, you theoretically cannot without getting called hypocrite.

Seriously, learn to troll properly, or don't troll at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        Just admit systemd is going to eat everything. You know nginx is next.
        No, webservers don't need to be forked to work with systemd.

Comment

• Hi yall & starshipeleven,

who claims....
          <snip>
          Missed the point.
          <snip>

No. You missed the point.....

<snip>
          .... they lack the manpower ....
          <snip>

Figures, you are sexist too....

<snip>
          I never claimed I have moral high ground, you did.
          <snip>

I did? Where? I thought I was arguing or if you will, debating against systemd-ization....

<snip>
          So I can troll your sorry little ass all I want if you post bs, you theoretically cannot without getting called hypocrite.
          Seriously, learn to troll properly, or don't troll at all.
          <snip>

Duh..... See above. I am arguing against against systemd-ization....

Greekgeek.

Comment

In point of fact, there were keyboards & mouse in use back then. Take a deep breath and do a smidgen more research?
            The fact that Xerox Alto came out in 1973 does not change the fact that most computer systems still had to be interacted with punch cards throughout the 70's.

Comment

Hi yall & starshipeleven,
              Can you please quote people properly? There are buttons to do so in the post editor, everyone here is able to use them, why you don't?

Figures, you are sexist too....
              "manpower" makes me sexist? Why all trolls here fail at fucking reading compehension?

I did? Where?
              https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...407#post892407
              You claim that people calling you troll are immature and children, then proceed to post an immature childish rant.

I thought I was arguing or if you will, debating against systemd-ization....
              Calling everyone names, and also calling systemd names does not make for a debate. It's a flame.

Duh..... See above. I am arguing against against systemd-ization....
              Duh, se above, I'm saying that name-calling people and things isn't a debate.

Comment

<snip>
                Can you please quote people properly? There are buttons to do so in the post editor, everyone here is able to use them, why you don't?
                <snip>

Are you confusing style with content?

<snip>
                You claim that people calling you troll are immature and children, then proceed to post an immature childish rant.
                <snip>

No. If you start at the being of this eleven page swashbuckling forum, you will see that those whom argue against systemd, are immediately labeled haters. I was pointing that up. Of course, in arguing against a point of view, I am making the claim that I like mine or that it is better. That is different that "moral high ground." More like, different moral point of view.

<snip>
                Calling everyone names, and also calling systemd names does not make for a debate. It's a flame.
                <snip>

Eh? There are billions of peeps on this planet, where exactly above have I called them ALL names? Are you the same person who accuses others of not reading your posts well?

<snip>
                "manpower" makes me sexist? Why all trolls here fail at fucking reading compehension?
                <snip>

Clearly you have not studied feminism. You have used gender exclusive language. Of course, you may have missed the rise of feminism, since the 1800's. By the way, women code too. F-bombing? Yep, that really adds to the debate and is very deep. Man.

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Are you confusing style with content?
                  I haven't yet seen anything I can call "content", so no, I'm definitely talking about your style. Because yes, it sucks.

No. If you start at the being of this eleven page swashbuckling forum, you will see that those whom argue against systemd, are immediately labeled haters.
                  You appear to think that arguing is the same as calling names. Most people that get called haters are also mostly calling names.

Of course, in arguing against a point of view, I am making the claim that I like mine or that it is better.
                  And you do so by name-calling people and objects. You don't know what "arguing" is perhaps?

where exactly above have I called them ALL names?
                  Why does "everyone" default to "whole world's population" instead of "people posting here"? Why anti-systemd people here can't read?

Are you the same person who accuses others of not reading your posts well?
                  No, I point out that most trolls in this thread can't even fucking read, which is a different thing alltogether.

You have used gender exclusive language.
                  Which isn't a problem unless you are a very very hardcore feminist, which would usually require you to also be a female as I've never seen very very hardcore male feminists. If that is the case I'm invoking the Internet rule "Tits or GTFO", so show me your tits or go away.

F-bombing? Yep, that really adds to the debate and is very deep. Man.
                  It breaks the monotonous "systemd is crap, Lennart is a bad guy" that comes from others.

Comment

<snip>
                    Which isn't a problem unless you are a very very hardcore feminist, which would usually require you to also be a female as I've never seen very very hardcore male feminists. If that is the case I'm invoking the Internet rule "Tits or GTFO", so show me your tits or go away.
                    <snip>

Yep man, real deep. What was said above, 15year old white males...?

Which leaves us with Feature Creep, Insecure, breaks Unix.

GreekGeek.

Comment

• I can honestly see that systemd brings some good things to the table, and will continue to evolve. Its something Id definitely enjoy experimenting with, and develop things that integrate with it. Not a problem in the lab.

But, the big question is ... if I deployed something important on a production server TODAY, whats the chance that over the next 5 years, maintenance would be a breeze ? How many more "features" am I going to have to keep up with on this production system over the next 5 y.ears ... and how do I convince my customers that passing on the cost of doing this is in their interests ? This is not the fault of systemd at all ... its just the reality of doing business in the tech space.

My last couple of big deployments have been running on FreeBSD for this reason. (and ZFS as a big reason as well). I cant prove anything yet, but at least I "feel" that Im not going to have to radically re-engineer all the scripts and glue that keep the system running anytime soon, just because the base architecture has "evolved" beyond recognition, and adding new staff to the project in 5 years from now wont look at it in horror and see "Legacy System Architecture" written all over it.

Its not just systemd either ... there is a whole raft of container technology that looks great, but is moving at a fast pace. I would be concerned about deploying any of these things, without budgetting in a fairly significant cost over the life of the project to keep the sysadmin side up to date and relevant with the latest and greatest.

On the subject of Desktop Linux ... again, in the lab, we are all over the place, which is a good thing. For a stable workstation, we have standardised on PCLinuxOS with KDE .. which bucks the trend by not using systemd, and uses BFS scheduler as well. It has proven to be very stable and snappy over the last few years., makes for a great Workstation desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X