Systemd Rolls Out Its Own Mount Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    A tool could do that seperately without being eaten by systemd.
    The mount tool isn't being dropped and there are no indications that it will be dropped in the future. This is just systemd project that instead of adding a feature that would work only on systemd systems back to GNU mount tool decided to make its own fork.

This stuff happens all the day and all the night in opensource world.

Comment

Personally, I think this systemd-mount is a good idea.

Reading all the comments about systemd "fiasco" and all, I think it shows one only thing: people using distribution spend more time complaining rather than opening bugs or trying to fix them. In a way, this is completely understandable, people want something that "just works". But developers want something that is maintainable. I guess most people here don't realise just how much effort had gone into sysinit, and just how broken it was. Had Debian switched to OpenRC or another system, it would have brought the same problems. Why ? Because sysinit was basically "don't care if it doesn't work". The new generation (systemd, openrc, ...) cares about if it works or not. Someone mentioned the 1:30 timeout on shutdown, guess what ? With sysinit it would just get killed, giving you the impression that it worked, when in fact it didn't.

Overall, I would say that systemd, like it or not, brought exactly the same "problems" that Pulseaudio did (*): it showed us how broken everyone's code is. For Pulseaudio it showed that most audio drivers were broken. It took some time to fix them, but I believe that was worth it, even if you don't use Pulseaudio. For systemd, it shows how broken most services are (or rather how difficult it is to have reliable services). Of course most of the time it's fine, because we can afford to just have our system die on us from time to time. On the other hand, having more reliably services benefits to everyone, not just systemd.

(*) And plenty of other pieces of software by the way. Just think about your compositor: it's probably running OpenGL now. Think about 5 years ago, if you tried to run an OpenGL compositor, it probably crashed every hour or so, or had horrible glitches. Since then, the whole mesa stack has had to improve. Or libinput ? Everyone is eager to switch to it because the current XInput is a pile of hack. Or wayland ? Because X is a pile a pile of hack (hum some X haters might want to see a pattern there).

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post
        There is no L in VUA. This was probably a joke referencing the beginning of Unix development.
        Hmm, VUA = Veteran Unix Admin. Yes now it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post

There is no L in VUA. This was probably a joke referencing the beginning of Unix development.
          I suppose I could see how taking fundamental concepts and breaking them could be considered funny.

I actually think what this particular thread is about is a good thing. I just hate that it was done by systemd.

Comment

Just admit systemd is going to eat everything. You know nginx is next.

Comment

Hi yall & starshipeleven,

who proposes....
              <snip>
              Because distros aren't already using the same stuff with different window dressing, nono, shellshock and all ssh vulnerabilities didn't affect all because everyone is using different things.
              <snip>

QED? Systemd homogenization increases this.

As for boot time speed ups? Meh...

Rephrasing other peoples posts, in a fashion you think is "funny...?" Um, perhaps you could engage with what is being said? But Troll posting and flamebaiting by others is bad.....? Mmmm? Tsk, tsk...

GreekGeek.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I suppose I could see how taking fundamental concepts and breaking them could be considered funny.
                This new mount is a separate binary. How in the hell is this breaking Unix philosphy?

I actually think what this particular thread is about is a good thing. I just hate that it was done by systemd.
                This new mount differs from the older mount because this one can offload things to do on systemd or add/manipulate tags used by systemd.
                Without systemd this tool is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

And of course you probably have no idea that linux didn't exist in 1969......
                  Actually I have a pretty good idea of the fact that most of the systemd bashing revolves around the unique fact that it is "not Unix" - that is, it that it dares using a post-1969 design.

Comment

Hi yall & starshipeleven,

who posts....
                    <snip>
                    In 1970 computers were still interacted with by using punched cards.
                    <snip>

Well, your SystemD & PulseAudio must bee way outta whack....?

In point of fact, there were keyboards & mouse in use back then. Take a deep breath and do a smidgen more research?

GreekGeek.

Comment

• Originally posted by lumks View Post
                      good thing. Lets hope with this, my system wont stop at the boot screen just because my /home/share/(mostly a steam,wine and music partition) needs a fsck while the important / and /home are ready.
                      and you don't need systemd for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X