No announcement yet.

Dirk Hohndel Is No Longer Intel's Chief Linux/OSS Technologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering everything else (Intel leaving the Desktop Market) I'd say it IS being phased out. And please don't start saying that's not true, it is whether you like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      Considering everything else (Intel leaving the Desktop Market) I'd say it IS being phased out. And please don't start saying that's not true, it is whether you like it or not.
      Intel leaving the Desktop market? that's more like a retreat to more defensible positions (gaming/HTPC, NUCs) while OEM are left in the slaughter.

Anyway, even if it was true, laptops are the place where Intel iGPUs make the most sense.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 July 2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Considering approx. half of Linux users use Intel GPU, I think your "facts" should be stated by far more people than only you...

(I am writing this from an Intel IGP right now (i5 6200U) and do not see any of the glitches you are talking about)
        Well, of course you are entitled to your own opinion as well, but your opinion ensures you get burned and mine ensures I won't. It's more than half of all users, more then half. And thats the problem. That is directly the biggest reason why PC gaming started to collapse, People tried to install and play games and then learned only after the fact that their 800$ pc couldn't do it. It happened to people by the tens of thousands. It isn't as bad today, Like your GPU, Intel does have a very tiny percentage of their GPU's that are "OKish".

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          That is directly the biggest reason why PC gaming started to collapse, People tried to install and play games and then learned only after the fact that their 800$ pc couldn't do it.
          No wait a sec, since when people spends 800$ in a PC for gaming and the best GPU they have is the integrated one?
          I (anyone) can build a pretty decent 1080p gaming PC with that budget.

As for the others that did not buy a gaming rig, they are mostly happy as they can play crappy casual games on their integrated graphics.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 July 2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No wait a sec, since when people spends 800$ in a PC for gaming and the best GPU they have is the integrated one?

As for the others that did not buy a gaming rig, they are mostly happy as they can play crappy casual games on their integrated graphics.
            Most of them since forever..... Switchable graphics have been around a few years, but Intel attempting to kill pc gaming has been happening for decades. Essentially ever since they bought CT and realized they couldnt compete. That makes it since something like 1998....

Last edited by duby229; 07 July 2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Most of them since forever.....
              Bullshit.

Switchable graphics have been around a few years, but Intel attempting to kill pc gaming has been happening for decades. Essentially ever since they bought CT and realized they couldnt compete. That makes it since something like 1998....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chips_and_Technologies
              So, Intel is trying to kill PC gaming by making integrated graphics that cannot compete with dedicated cards, and deluding people into buying i7s for their graphics?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Comment

Bullshit.

So, Intel is trying to kill PC gaming by making integrated graphics that cannot compete with dedicated cards, and deluding people into buying i7s for their graphics?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
                Those are your words not mine. If you want to kid yourself, please, go right ahead.

Intel's modern graphics were derived because they needed something that could run a desktop compositor and that's it. They were never intended to compete with anything because they were never capable of competing with anything. You must be 10 years old if you can't remember win8's launch or Vista's launch, or Compiz' early implentations. The GPU's Intel had at those times couldn't do it! This is the very first time in history that Intel has had -any- GPU that could run a desktop decently, and those are only a very tiny percentage of whats available.
                Last edited by duby229; 07 July 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I (anyone) can build a pretty decent 1080p gaming PC with that budget.

Go to Duby's shop so that there will be one more people spending 800$ that way

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Go to Duby's shop so that there will be one more people spending 800$ that way
                    I don't sell Intel products intentionally, so no worries there. I will if begged and pleaded, but I'll always try to talk my customer out of Intel products.

Comment

I don't sell Intel products intentionally, so no worries there. I will if begged and pleaded, but I'll always try to talk my customer out of Intel products.
                      That is not really fair for consumers, considering the state of the AMD desktop offer.
                      The raw power and the watt they eat are bad at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X